Feature request: Role based access in Veeam Console

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Feature request: Role based access in Veeam Console

Veeam Logoby cdesch » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:54 am

Hi all,

is it planned, like in Enterprise Manager, to get granular role based access permission within the Veeam Console ?

In our environment, we have many restore users, they need more features, then EM has, so it is necessary and a very big wish:
- make the EM more useable

or

- integrate RBAC into the Veeam Console

Thx, for some comments,
Chris
cdesch
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Christian Desch

Re: Feature request: Role based access in Veeam Console

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:00 am

Hi Christian,

We already have (some) RBAC in the Veeam Console. See here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Can you let us know what exactly you are seeking and what we are missing in both EM and the Console?

Many thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 287 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby cdesch » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:13 am

Hi Mike,

yes sure.

It would be nice if:
- we have i.e. various MS exchange jobs -> so the resulting backups should be only viewable/restoreable for the Exchange Admin user group from AD
-> RBAC could be based on Job level, or vCenter VM Folder Level, or if dedicated repositories are used

- like in EM, user groups with role permission restore -> could be assingd to vCenter VM folder level, an the permission allows only to recover files with special extension -> this we are missing too in Veeam Console

- since we still could not choose in the EM WebUI the "restore proxy" (very necessary with many branch offices, where onsite proxy / local repos exists) , in all this cases we have to allow thees branch office restore users, to the veeam console, but then the see ALL backups , that should not be allowed, but we cannot restrict them with v9.5

I could give you much more examples if you like, but the fact is, RBAC is nice in EM Web UI, but only for restore, not for backup -> there ist no Backup Scope in EM for RBAC, but the feature set is very limited within EM -> so we have to give the restore users permission within the Veeam Console -> but then, even they get bestore or backup permission, they see all backup data, which is not okay, in our distributed environment.

We cannot build for each department an seperate Veeam B&R Server, only because RBAC is not working.

Thx for further comments,
Chris
cdesch
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Christian Desch

Veeam Logoby edirschedl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:14 am

Hello,

any news / information / advice regarding this topic? The same granularity Christian described for the VEEAM B&R console as in the EM, would be very helpful and it's needed for enterprise customers, which have a big in-house IT, with a lot of application admins, responsible people for subsidiaries etc.

Thank you!
edirschedl
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:18 am

Hi Edirschedl,

No news for the moment to be honest. This would be a feature request and all votes for it are counted. However, I did just notice I didn't reply on Chris his last remark. It is not the idea (with the Veeam Console) to install separate Veeam B&R servers, only the console (so the UI). Is that a possibility? Maybe on a administration consoles server or similar?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby edirschedl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:54 am

Hi Mike,

I don't understand your idea completely. What's the difference if I install the VEEAM console on a specific administration console server? Yes of course, only the guys who have access to the console server can open the VEEAM GUI, but within VEEAM they have full restore permission for all vms (and not only for single vms, folders or jobs), if I add them to the restore operator role.

Regards,
Emanuel
edirschedl
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:27 am

Hi,

Understood. I made the mistake to reply only on the question of installing VBR (fully) on different servers which of course is not the idea. Your use case makes a lot of sense but I can't promise anything at this point in time. The request is noted and counted ;-)

One last question if you don't mind. I noticed that in your first post you requested to make EM more usable (you already pointed out a few items you would like to see) but I would appreciate it if you could give us more examples of must-haves in that console.

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication