Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
msullivan@csa1.com
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Sullivan

Feature Request: Rotated NAS - Repository Import Backup

Post by msullivan@csa1.com »

I currently have a case opened on this and was advised to post for a request here: Case # 02140498 - Rotated NAS isn't cleaning up older restore points

We remotely manage backups for multiple customers running HyperV. We've been deploying 9.5.
Example:
Repository is set for rotated NAS.
Customer rotates the NAS each week. The backup job is set to Reverse Incremental keeping 6 restore points.
When the NAS is rotated, veeam configuration doesn't recognize the previous chain, so it creates a new chain, so the older restore points/chains are never cleaned up and begin to fill the NAS.
Through testing, I've found that when the NAS is rotated, I can have the Repository Import backups & geust files, and the B&R>Disk view will show the correct restore points on the newly mounted NAS.
I can then Start the job and the job will maintain the chain and remove older restore points as desired.
The problem is I don't see an an option to have the Repository Import backups before the backup job runs.
Is there a way to schedule an Import of the backups?

Please see Case # 02140498 for more details/screenshots.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request: Rotated NAS - Repository Import Backup

Post by foggy »

Hi Matt, how the NAS is added to Veeam B&R, using what repository type - CIFS or Windows (iSCSI LUN)?
msullivan@csa1.com
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Sullivan

Post by msullivan@csa1.com »

This is a CIFS shared folder.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please review the rotated drives option description. It is expected that the full backup is created each time the drive is switched. To perform cleanup, you can use the registry values described here.