Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Danne
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Andersson

Feature Request: S3 Retention

Post by Danne »

Hello,

I would like to ask for an enhancement request to Veeam Backup & Replication.
I think this is something that many of your customers would need going forward.

As discussed with your support, at the moment it is not possible to set a different retention for the S3 Bucket , due to the fact that you cannot write directly to that storage as the performance extent is needed, for this reason the retention can be only set from the backup copy job itself.
My request is that it would be very useful to have a separate retention on the S3 bucket.

Two different scenarios that would be useful:
First scenario, let say that you have 90 days retention. The Copy Job stores the data on-prem for x days (for example 30 days) the remaining days (60 days) will be stored in the S3 bucket.

Second scenario, let say that you have 90 days retention. You have a Copy job that stores the data on-prem for x days (for example 30 days). The Copy job for the S3 bucket will store the entire retention period, in this case 90 days.

Thanks,
//Daniel
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Feature Request: S3 Retention

Post by Andreas Neufert »

This is already implemented.
Please check the Move Policy.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

It just works a bit different.
You enable move and copy policy
Retention 90 days and enable move after 30 days
Copy policy will take care that all backups are kept on the copy not only the moved ones.

Result, you will have ~30days on premises and the 90 days within the object storage.
Danne
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Andersson

Post by Danne »

I had case 05200972 with you were I had this configured but it did not work.
It turns out that I need to have the same retention on the performance extent as I do on the S3 bucket.
At the moment it is not possible to set a different retention for the S3 Bucket, which means that I need to have the same amount of capacity at my performance extent as in the S3 bucket.

What I want to achieve is to have 30 days of backup in the performance extent thats on-prem for fast restores, I want to store the 90 days of backup in my S3 storage, like in scenario two.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Please read the link carefully that I have added above.

You can set the Retention to 90 days.
Enable copy so that as well the latest restore points are on the object storage.
Enable Move Policy after 30 days, this will remove the older restore points from the performance tier (disk system) and hold older restore points only on the object storage.

Result:
30 day retention on the Performance Tier (Disk storage)
90 day retention on the Object Storage.