Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Samba222
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Ronald

Feature request: show installed Private Fix

Post by Samba222 » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

is it possible to show after the build number (Help -> about) all the installed private fix numbers?
Background: before starting an update (e.g. CVE fix) you have to check if a private fix is installed because this would / can be overwritten - after month running i cant remember if or which private fix is installed at the moment

Thx!
Regards,
Ronald
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Feature request: show installed Private Fix

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, Ronald. We're doing something about this issue already, not exactly what you're asking about but some sort of check before installing a cumulative update in presence of private fixes it does not include. Thanks!
Samba222
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Ronald

Post by Samba222 »

Ah ok, sounds good - thx for your answer Anton!

Best Regards,
Ronald
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

Post by pirx » 1 person likes this post

Is this only for CUs? Because we regularly get hot/private fixes. And my experience is that support does not check if other 'special' fixes are already installed. So they ask to install a fix but there is 0 check before from support side if this fix collides with an existing fix.

Example: case 02541546, the provided hotfix would replace Veeam.Backup.Core.dll with a version from 2022. But a few weeks before we received a patchfile with 2 fixes (05900716, IBM SVC datastore deletion issue) that has to be installed on top of CU5. And this already replaced Veeam.Backup.Core.dll....

I did not install the new fix from 02541546 and it is basically just a zip with 2 files and instructions where to place them. This happend before, which I don't understand as we usually provide GB's of log data. So support should notice those fixes and check. For me is hard to keep track as I don't always know what files are replaced (sometimes the fixes are exe not zip) and I see this as responsibility from support.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

For hotfixes which contain not setup routine, it will be hard to programmatically prevent such issues.
I would also see support in responsibility to check for any previous installed hotfixes.
The logs contain the necessary information. And probably for now I would go as far an check the logs myself before installing a hotfix.
Private fix files:
Cummulative fix files
@Ralf: Did you give that as a support feedback?
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

My colleague gave feedback and it was confirmed that both patches collide. I discussed this in the past with support and it seems that this is simply not done by default. Customer has to point out that he is using special fixes.

"There's a conflict in the hotfixes. Both issues would be addressed by upgrade to v12."
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I'm looking at how we can reduce a number of private hotfixes which are not included into the immediate cumulative patch. Normally this only happens with hotfixes that are too risky to push to the entire customer base, or hotfixes created too close to releasing the patch. Of course, this would increase "time to hotfix" in some cases. But the way it currently stands, it's just too messy and time consuming for R&D due to having to re-issue multiple private hotfixes following each cumulative patch. Not to mention all the negative experience by our customers, as mentioned above.
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

I would have been very happy if the fix for case 02541546 / SOBR index issue - which is from 09-2022 (?) - would have been included in CU5 at some point. Does that mean that the fix is too risky? I've seen this before, especially for fixes that target SOBR/Index issues. We have a history there...

Regarding fixes in general. Case 05925492: Veeam ate our backups on performance tier and delete 70 TB. Which was a known issue. There was a short network disconnect on that repo server for ~2min, the result was somehow unexpected.
I've looked through the logs and it looks like, that you come across a known issue in Veeam 11, when the local backups are removed from the local extent due to its unavailability

At the time of the issue inception, there were two internal components performing the availability checks. First component (rescan operation) was performing a rescan of all the items in the infrastructure and seeing the backups still unavailable. At one point the other component (Infrastructure rescan, a "hearbeat") automatically started by default schedule and noticed the Local Extent host is online. But as the Item Rescan operation was performed at the same time and already marked backups as "Unavailable" Veeam decided that the backups are truly lost and started downloading them from the Capacity Tier.
I don't know since when this is a known issue, but I'd expect that a fix for this is included in some of the regular updates. My question regarding an fix for v11 was not answered in that case but I talked with our Veeam contact about this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Normally this one would have been included in what you call "CU5"... if we had another cumulative bugfix patch for 11a after 09-2022, that is.