feature request: split vbk

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: feature request: split vbk

Veeam Logoby haslund » Sun May 28, 2017 10:53 am

SyNtAxx wrote:I would also like the ability to chop up .vbk files (I use per vm chains) into small files. I have vms that are multiple tbs in size, and this causes issues for replication of those files. While the per vm chains greatly reduced the issue of not all files being replicate din a timely manner, I still have those massive vms still causing issues. It would be nice to split the .vbk files for those large vms into smaller more managable bites (pardon pun) in order to replicate more easily. Example, a setting in the backup job to split backup files larger than 1tb into some user configurable sub grouping, for example 250gb. This is a good idea.

-Nick

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by replicating backup files? If you utilize a Veeam Backup Copy job to move backups off-site we will only move changed blocks, not actual files which might solve your issue if you are using something different than Veeam to replicate/copy backup files.
Rasmus Haslund
Principal Technologist, Global Education Services @ Veeam Software
Veeam Certified Architect #1 | Veeam Certified Trainer #4 [v7,v8,v9] | Veeam Certified Trainer Mentor #1
Twitter: @haslund
Blog: www.perfectcloud.org
haslund
Veeam Software

Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Veeam Logoby final » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:56 am 1 person likes this post

+1 for splitting VBKs. Windows Server 2016 deduplication only processes the first 4GB of a file (this is a fixed limit of Server 2016 deduplication according to Will Gries, the technology owner at MS). We have a single VM with a total size of 10TB and hence cannot really use deduplication on this.
final
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times

Veeam Logoby ERecker » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:16 am 1 person likes this post

+1 for splitting VBKs

We also have a file server with individual volumes larger than 4TB. We use windows dedup and are about to upgrade archive servers to windows server 2016. It is already stated, that windows server 2016 stops dedup after processing the first 4TB of an individual file.
This Feature should be also usable within copy Jobs.

regards
ERecker
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Enno Recker

Veeam Logoby fika » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 am 1 person likes this post

fika
Influencer

Full Name: fika

[MERGED] Feature Request - Split VBK to improve tape backup

Veeam Logoby ayates » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 am 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Is there any plans to have option to split VBK files?
Reason I ask is because of tape backups and parallel processing.

At the moment we can enable tape parallel processing and it will write our per VM backups to both tape drives at the same time.
However lets say you have lots of average size VMs and one really big VM that is a few TB in size and bigger than the combined total of the smaller VMs.
What happens then is for half the time the tape drives are working in parallel because the small VMs go to one drive and the big VM goes to the other.
But once the smaller VMs have completed you are then left with the big VM writing to one tape drive only and not making use of the second tape drive.
I assume the reason is because it's one big VBK file and it can only write that one file to one tape drive at a time.

If it did something similar to say CommVault where it splits the files into chunks then it could write different chunks to different tape drives at the same time and have both tape drives working in parallel nearly 100% of the time.

Cheers,

Anthony
ayates
Lurker

Full Name: Anthony Yates

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:58 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Anthony, thanks for your request. I'm merging your thread into another existing similar discussion.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby DonZoomik » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:48 am 1 person likes this post

No news in upcoming 9.5 Update 3?
DonZoomik
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:59 am 1 person likes this post

Unfortunately, Update 3 will not have this functionality implemented - priority has been given to other (more demanded) features. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] [Request] Split backup files to smaller archives

Veeam Logoby Xamber » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:14 am

Hi,

Spoke with some guy from the support on the phone and he told me that i should make a forum post regarding my request.

We would like to at least have the possibility to split a large backup job into smaller files meanwhile the backup job is running.

I see two possible ways in doing so, either split the files up per machine backed up. So that if you have 10 VM's they're split up by each separate VM.
Second idea would be to split the large files into smaller archive files. Just like some compression software like winrar, backupfile.r00, backupfile.r01 and so on.

The reason for asking this is, we've got about 30 machines setup for backing up each day, and take a full backup every two weeks. The total space allocation is about 26TB in total and in order to speed up the backup we're pushing all data over to a NAS that has an 1.2TB cache NVME drive, but when the full backup is running there is not enough space on the NVME drive and the backup will fail due to the one single large 26TB backup file.

I don't think that we're the only ones the would benefit from this feature.

Thanks for reading and i hope this is somewhat coherent.
Xamber
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:31 am

Hi,

Thank you for the feature request. You're right, it's been already requested several times, so I'm merging your topic to the existing thread. Btw, have you tried per-VM backup files feature?

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 272 times

Veeam Logoby Delo123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 am

Nice request. We would also like to have split VBK's. Yes, we habe, Per-VM has no use with big VM's....
Delo123
Expert

Liked: 102 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication