Transaction Logs in Backup Copy or Replica

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Feature Request - SQL T-Log backups in replica/backup co

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon May 02, 2016 10:27 am

The said functionality has been requested before. So, your voice for adding it has been counted. Thanks for the feedback.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 920 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby ahahum » Wed May 04, 2016 7:53 pm

foggy wrote:Replicas are also application-consistent provided the corresponding option is enabled in the job settings.

You can use array replication to sync up backup repository to DR site.

Foggy - what would be the most efficient backup method to use for copying this to a replicated volume on our array? Current setup is just a physical box with large drives for our primary backup repository. I was considering creating a volume on the array that would be replicated to DR facility and copying the backup folder for this one VM to that repository. I am curious which would be the most efficient from both a total consumed storage standpoint as well as least amount of changed blocks.

I've read through this and it is very helpful, but I'm not sure which of these options may be the best benefit for me trying to handle this. Primary objective would be to simply get the SQL log backups offsite along with the necessary files to restore them. We wouldn't need to keep as many on the replicated volume as we have on our local repository so I'd probably copy last 48h of files or something similar. I understand that this may also pose a potential hangup depending on which backup method I choose for the VM.

Your expertise and advice is appreciated.
ahahum
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Bond

Veeam Logoby ahahum » Wed May 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Missing link reference in my post above.
http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/veea ... torage-io/
ahahum
Influencer

Full Name: Adam Bond

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri May 06, 2016 3:14 pm

Amount of changed blocks does not depend on the backup method and is similar for all of them. The most space efficient methods are reversed incremental and forever forward.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1052 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Bunce » Tue May 10, 2016 12:20 am 1 person likes this post

Guys,

Why not do the following:

1 - Use the native SQL backup functionality to backup the T-Logs to a volume on the VM itself. Set a scheduled job to clean out old backups according to your RPO's.
2 - Use Veeam just to backup/replicate/copy the VM (including the volume containing the T-Logs) - remember to disable log truncation in Veeam

We messed around with the earlier SQL backup stuff in Veeam earlier but found it unreliable (haven't gone to V9 yet).

The above has always worked for us and provides:
- Transactionally consistent backups (VSS is still used by Veeam to correctly Quiesce)
- An option to restore to the most recent Veeam (VM) backup if that's all that's needed
- A further option to then restore to a Point-In-Time using -TLog backups to meet an RTO objectives.

I'm sure the Veeam functionality in V9 is promising but for something this critical we much prefer to use the inbuilt SQL tools for PIT restores which will always be more reliable - and the additional time taken for the PIT restore is negligible.
Bunce
Expert

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Veeam Logoby nengelberth » Mon May 16, 2016 12:38 pm

1 - If you're backing up T-Logs to the volume on the VM itself, you're not going to meet any RPO shorter than 1 day, because your T-Log backups are going to be *gone* when the machine fails.
2 - Veeam's TLog backups work fairly well for us on an hourly cycle (though they occasionally overrun and miss an hour's cycle, largely because we have fairly low quality storage for our backup repository and it gets overwhelmed).
3 - The goal is to have a single interface for all of the backups and restores, so I don't have to train staff in two different ways to backup/recover (or have a dedicated staff member on call just for DB server recoveries).

Aside from us not really being covered if the server room catches fire, we're fairly happy with the process of how Veeam SQL backups work -- just used them this past weekend, actually, and the restore process went well. We're just trying to get PIT recovery from our off-site backups without needing to spend tens of thousands of dollars on Data Domain level storage and a high bandwidth MPLS link.
nengelberth
Lurker

[MERGED] Veeam Backup and Replication - Case 01796334

Veeam Logoby kallen2323 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:51 pm

I am using Veeam Backup and Replication version 9 update 1 and I have been trying to get 2 local repositories to be identical by using the backup copy job feature. The backup copy job doesn't add/update point-in-time restore points for SQL that are part of the regular backup job I use. I find this misleading because the software doesn't prompt or notify me in any way. If I hadn't tried to perform a point-in-time test restore for SQL using the backup copy data, I would have never known the .vlb data is not included. I would like to ask that point-in-time restore points be added to the backup copy process so I can have a true copy of my backups.
kallen2323
Lurker

Full Name: Kenneth Allen

Veeam Logoby EvanWaite » Tue May 31, 2016 5:29 am

I'd also like to add our voice to this feature. We're using one of the more common architectures with multiple fast primary backup repositories holding 3 restore points and backup copy jobs sending data to onsite and offsite dedupe appliances. If the log backups aren't copied over, it means we have only ~3 days where we can do a point in time recovery. It also means if we lose the primary copy (host or datacenter failure), we have up to 24hrs of missing data.

Proposed methods of using File Copy jobs aren't practical with Per-VM chains and Scale-Out repos in v9. They also don't give us a solution to change compression levels so terrible with dedupe secondaries.

We're hoping this feature will make it into v9.5 (for MSSQL at least, Oracle would also be nice) as it will finally allow us to stop using TSM on top of Veeam. The only mention of this missing feature in the docs is under the Backup-to-tape section (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... begin.html) so it's possible many don't know their logs aren't moving over (I'll admit, we just assumed they did).
EvanWaite
Lurker

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Evan Waite

[MERGED] Transaction Logs in Backup Copy

Veeam Logoby mbroaders » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:39 pm 1 person likes this post

Is there any way to have the SQL Transaction Log backup files copied within the Backup Copy Job? If not, what would be the best way to ensure that SQL transaction log backup files are kept offsite?
mbroaders
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Re: Transaction Logs in Backup Copy or Replica

Veeam Logoby JoshuaPostSAMC » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm planning on setting up Backup Copy Jobs later this week. You mean SQL Transaction logs aren't copied over as part of that? I don't understand why that would be?
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Liked: 15 times

Re: Transaction Logs in Backup Copy or Replica

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Backup Copy jobs do not currently process log backups, just VM backups.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2301 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication