Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
withanh
Expert
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

Re: Feature Request - Start time on Jobs

Post by withanh » Feb 19, 2010 11:11 pm

Good deal! :mrgreen:
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law

rchew
Influencer
Full Name: Raymond Chew

Post by rchew » Feb 20, 2010 1:41 am

Gostev wrote:Yes, but such system will take as long as Windows to develop
I'm assuming you're being facetious. I know you're responding to "donikatz" but surely a simple "start time" for the job won't be that Herculean an effort for your developers.

Anyway...I'm moving on. I've posted the request and your team can take it from here. If there are any lurkers out there that which to chime in to support this effort...here is your forum. Otherwise...thanks for listening

donikatz
Expert

Post by donikatz » Feb 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Agreed, all I can do is file the request, it's up to you to decide development priority. If there are only a couple of us out of "8000+" who want such granularity, then of course it's not worth developing. Obviously you don't have the $ or manpower of a company like Symantec, so you have to play to your advantages and not match every feature. At some point you'll have to develop this or buy someone who has (or be bought by someone who has), but if this doesn't rate as a priority right now, understood. Thanks again for listening. :)

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3280 times

Post by Gostev » Feb 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Doni, thanks for understanding. That's right, we prefer to differentiate and develop technologies established companies do not have. This lets us be successful without having those minor nice-to-have features you can expect from v13 product ;)

Raymond, can you please clarify how do you envision to set up start time for jobs running more often than every hour? Or you are thinking only about jobs running more rarely?

rchew
Influencer

Post by rchew » Mar 02, 2010 1:22 am

Gostev wrote:Raymond, can you please clarify how do you envision to set up start time for jobs running more often than every hour? Or you are thinking only about jobs running more rarely?
Hi Gostev...

Sorry for the tardy reply. I was away from the office last week. My request is simply an extension of your current scheduling system. Right now, a user can schedule the jobs to execute every "x" minutes. In my case, I was running the job every 15 minutes. I would just like another option to start the job at...let's say 14:00hrs so that I know my jobs will now run at 14:00 / 14:15 / 14:30 etc.

Now that I've spent quite a bit of time evaluating the product, I can absolutely see why having a start time would be beneficial. Let's say you have a user that may want to stagger their jobs due to process load. This user wants VM's A, B, and C to be replicated every hour on the hour and VM's D, E, and F to replicate every hour on the half hour. Without the ability to specify a start time, the user is forced to wait the appropriate amount of time and create the job.

That being said...there are other issues I'm running into in my evaluation that is causing me to rethink my replication strategy. I won't go into them here but I may now be forced into an off-hours replication model.

Thanks

Ray

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3280 times

Post by Gostev » Mar 02, 2010 1:32 am

rchew wrote:Sorry for the tardy reply. I was away from the office last week. My request is simply an extension of your current scheduling system. Right now, a user can schedule the jobs to execute every "x" minutes. In my case, I was running the job every 15 minutes. I would just like another option to start the job at...let's say 14:00hrs so that I know my jobs will now run at 14:00 / 14:15 / 14:30 etc.
Ah, got it, I was thinking about something else. And what should happen if 1st replication cycle ends at 14:17 in your example, for instance?
rchew wrote:That being said...there are other issues I'm running into in my evaluation that is causing me to rethink my replication strategy. I won't go into them here but I may now be forced into an off-hours replication model.
I am insterested to hear, do you have support case number so that I could take a look without asking all the same info? If you don't have the support case open, may be you could share this in a separate topic?

arthurp
Influencer
Full Name: Arthur Pizyo

Post by arthurp » Mar 02, 2010 4:53 pm

[rchew wrote]
Now that I've spent quite a bit of time evaluating the product, I can absolutely see why having a start time would be beneficial. Let's say you have a user that may want to stagger their jobs due to process load. This user wants VM's A, B, and C to be replicated every hour on the hour and VM's D, E, and F to replicate every hour on the half hour. Without the ability to specify a start time, the user is forced to wait the appropriate amount of time and create the job.

Hi Anton,

Going back to quoted remark, this has been an issue for us. Our backup box is clearly not the cutting edge (CPU runs too close to 100% too frequently) and we attempt to time our replication jobs, so that they don't start at the same time. I'm disabling a set of jobs and then gradually enabling one by one. Therefore it would be great if you can set start time through job scheduler.
Another related problem we get is that after a nightly window reserved for backup jobs for same VMs all replication jobs kick in almost simultaneously and CPU chokes again. This is were specific start times would be very helpful.
We run 4 VMs on 15 min schedule and our Exchange on 1 hour, so precise scheduling would be great to have.

Thank you

Arthur

rchew
Influencer

Post by rchew » Mar 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Gostev wrote:Ah, got it, I was thinking about something else. And what should happen if 1st replication cycle ends at 14:17 in your example, for instance?
I would ask Veeam to see if they could make their replication more efficient :P. Seriously though, we wouldn't really have much choice but to either set the job to replicate every 20 or 30 minutes or let Veeam "miss" the 14:15 job and continue with the 14:30 job.
Gostev wrote:I am insterested to hear, do you have support case number so that I could take a look without asking all the same info? If you don't have the support case open, may be you could share this in a separate topic?
This has been a fairly long process so the case notes may be a bit much to slog through. However...this is the ID# in my emails with your team.

ID#517934

RumataRus
Enthusiast
Full Name: Dmitry Prokudin

How to set up certain time in schedule of a job?

Post by RumataRus » Feb 01, 2011 3:51 pm

[merged with existing discussion]

How to set up certain time of start of backup or replication in schedule of a job?
That is I want to replicate some VM every 2 hours and start at 23:00. Now is 20:30.
I have nof found something like "Start at" options.

RumataRus
Enthusiast
Full Name: Dmitry Prokudin

Post by RumataRus » Feb 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Hm...
I have read the discussion, but I have not understood if precise scheduling would be in future versions. :?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1443 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Feb 01, 2011 10:38 pm

I've just wanted to point out, that even now you have the ability to achieve what you want either with Windows Scheduler or PowerShell scripts.

rw_ga
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ryan W

Post by rw_ga » May 04, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm fairly new to VBR and need some assistance.

I was looking for a start time for our backup jobs as well when I ran across this thread. We have our Backup Jobs set to run Incremental backups with active full backups every day periodically every 30 minutes, keeping 336 restore points on disk (if my math is right, 7 days). I was hopeing to be able to specify when the active full backup runs. Right now it seems they run somewhere around midnight.

We wish to use Veeam BR for data recovery and Symantec BE to move a copy of the VBR data to tape for disaster recovery. I want to setup an Incremental Backup Exec job to place a copy of the Full Backup and its Incrementals (for each day) over to tape without getting the prior 6 days worth of data. Right now if I schedule the BE job as a post job activity every 48 backup cycles (24hr/30min), I get some VIB files from the prior backup chain and some for the current. I'm not sure when the "Run on selected days only" option runs. I thought I could just setup a static job in BE but don't know when to schedule it because I'm not 100% sure when the Active Full Backup runs.

How would I accoumplish this?

Thanks,
RW

withanh
Expert
Full Name: Darhl

Post by withanh » May 04, 2011 9:41 pm

My experience with the "runs on selected days" is (for example) if you start a job on Wednesday at 10pm and it runs for 2.5 hours, the post job would have to be set for "Run on Thursday". But if the job happened to take 1.75 hours and finishes before midnight then the post job would not run because it would not be Thursday.
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law

rw_ga
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ryan W

Post by rw_ga » May 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Not sure I follow. My backup job is setup to run incrementals every 30 minutes and an Active Full backup every day. When does the Active full backup run in this scenario? Then when does the "runs on selected days" run in regards to the full backup?

Does the "runs on selected days" know when the backup chain is complete (the previous full and all incrementals up to the next full)???

Also, in regards to the run after so many cycles, when does it start the cycle count? From the first full backup or the next incremental backup after I edit the job?

Thanks,
RW

BarryCoombs
Enthusiast

Hourly Backups

Post by BarryCoombs » Jun 02, 2011 3:48 pm

[merged into existing discussion]

Hi,

I am wanting to create an hourly backup schedule for a set of VM's, when I configure the periodic feature to run between the times I wish the backup to run it doesn't allow me to set a start time, as such it will start creating the backups an hour from when I created it. I wish to run backups at every hour between 6am and 6pm, how can I achieve this.

Cheers

Barry