Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1481 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request - Start time on Jobs

Post by foggy » Oct 17, 2011 8:05 am

Nathan, improvements Anton is speaking about will be introduced in the upcoming v6 release which is planned for Q4 2011. Thanks.

dinger76
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Bell

Veeam v6 Start Times

Post by dinger76 » Dec 14, 2011 1:17 pm

[merged]

Hi,

I've got a backup job that is scheduled to run every 6 hours, unfortunately I cannot see anywhere where I can go through and adjust the time to say what time I wish it to start. The only way I can see at the moment is to manually start the job at the desired time and then after that it will kick in with backing up again 6 hours later.

If there is a way to set the specific time on a job which is scheduled every 6 hours?

Cheers

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1414 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Dec 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi Chris, there is no option to do that within the UI, but could you please tell me what is the reason behind this request? Thanks!

dinger76
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Bell

Post by dinger76 » Dec 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi,

Yes, we have a team that request that the backups are performed every 6 hours starting at midday, 6pm, midnight and 6am.

Currently the job I have configured is using the time that I finished creating the job instead of these times. I'd just like to be able to choose a start time for the job and then have it run every 6 hours after that. I'm happy to make changes to the database etc., if need be... the database is centrally located on a separate SQL Server.

Cheers

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1414 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Dec 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks for clarifying it! In order to achieve what you want you need to launch your job with a PowerShell script using Windows Task Scheduler. Please check out how to do that at our PowerShell sub-forums. Thanks!

ThomasMc
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Thomas McConnell

Post by ThomasMc » Dec 14, 2011 4:46 pm

You can manipulate the last run date and time to get it in sync(can't use next run because it looks at the last run/created time and adds 6hrs to it even after updating it)

Code: Select all

#### Note this is for Veeam v6 ####
asnp "VeeamPSSnapIn" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$job = Get-VBRJob -Name "Test Job"
$schl = $job | Get-VBRJobScheduleOptions
$schl.LatestRun = "$(Get-Date -f MM/dd/yyyy) 06:00:00"

Set-VBRJobScheduleOptions -Job $job -Options $schl
you can save this as a ps1 file and just run it before 12pm and your job will start bang on the money

tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2146 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » Dec 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Thomas, how did I not know that was coming? But wouldn't the job "crawl" as each job starts 6 hours after the last one finished. I always just used a "post-job" script that would set the next scheduled run time.

ThomasMc
Expert

Post by ThomasMc » Dec 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Good shout Tom, I'll need to look at the pre and post job commands more as that is a grey area to me at the moment, for some reason I thought those got run on the VM you where backing up but thinking about it, that wouldn't make sense(name should have given it away lol) and might be confusing it with some other awesome feature in Veeam :D

tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler » Dec 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Well, there are "pre-freeze" and "post-thaw" scripts that can be run in the VM when using VMware tools quiesce, however, there is also a "post-job" script that is run at the end of the job on the Veeam server. Had a customer that wanted to kick off replication jobs every hour, but at very specific intervals. By default you can set a job to start at 12:05PM, and run at one hour intervals, but this job will slowly crawl, with the "next run" being one hour after the previous run ends.

We could have simply scheduled the job with Windows Task Manager, but that gave the disadvantage of having the schedule within Veeam displaying "<Not Scheduled>" and having to know to look elsewhere, which was not ideal. So we wrote a very simple script that would run as a "post-job" script which would simply modify the jobs schedule to run the next hour at the specified interval. I didn't keep the script (probably should have) but it was pretty straightforward.

ThomasMc
Expert

Post by ThomasMc » Dec 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Excellent info Tom, thanks for that.

ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Post by ssimakov » Dec 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Chris, "Schedule" button may help you to do what you want. It is designed to define time periods when backup job is allowed to start so in your case you can schedule the job to run every 6 hours with 12am-1am, 6am-7am, 12pm-1pm and 6pm-7pm as permitted start intervals.

tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler » Dec 14, 2011 10:05 pm

That's an excellent point, for this particular use case that would probably work.

incognito
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: NATE

replication in v6 at pre-determined times

Post by incognito » Feb 29, 2012 9:10 pm

[merged]

I can't see how to make replication due what I need in the GUI. Right now I have it running every 4 hours but I need it to run only at specific times, 3 times a day.

Anyone got ideas for me?

dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » Feb 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Not with the GUI, but you can set the job without a schedule and then run it via Powershell, scheduling the script at the desired time.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2019
Veeam VMCE #1

lobo519
Expert
Liked: 34 times

Schedule Enhancement

Post by lobo519 » Mar 19, 2012 7:14 pm

[merged]

I would like to see the periodic schedule type also include the ability to run at particualar times throughout the day. Similar to a the Shadow copy schedule.

Example. Replicate at 6:00AM, 10:00AM, 2:00PM, 6:00PM on Monday-Friday

I am currently using an every 4 hours schedule but its annoying if you modifiy the job it resets the Next Run time.