Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1413 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request - Start time on Jobs

Post by Vitaliy S. » Nov 27, 2012 7:56 am

Sharlok, you can use PowerShell scripts (discussed in this topic) to start your full backups at specific time.

Shralok
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

Post by Shralok » Jan 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Sharlok, you can use PowerShell scripts (discussed in this topic) to start your full backups at specific time.
This seems to be above my head. Would I be able to get some help with this if I call in to Support?

Also I'd like to bump my feature request for starting full backups at a specific time, not just a specific day. This would help me because I could start one periodic backup's full at 12:00 AM, another at 5:00 AM, another at 10:00 AM, another at 3:00 PM, another at 8:00 PM all on the same day instead of having 5 jobs running/queued at once. This also gives me the ability to keep up with my periodic backups after they have completed their full rather than having the job sit in queue all day waiting to do the full and missing all of its incrementals.

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Jan 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Shralok,

Please create a PowerShell script to start your backup job:

Long version:

Code: Select all

$job = Get-VBRJob | where {$_.Name –eq “JobName1”}
Start-VBRJob –Job ($job)
Short version:

Get-VBRJob | where {$_.Name –eq “JobName1”} | Start-VBRJob
After that, navigate to Windows Task Scheduler and choose the time you want to this script. If you need more assistance, then please contact our support team for further assistance.

Hope this helps!

Shralok
Enthusiast

Post by Shralok » Jan 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Shralok,

Please create a PowerShell script to start your backup job:

Long version:

$job = Get-VBRJob | where {$_.Name –eq “JobName1”}
Start-VBRJob –Job ($job)
Short version:

Get-VBRJob | where {$_.Name –eq “JobName1”} | Start-VBRJob
After that, navigate to Windows Task Scheduler and choose the time you want to this script. If you need more assistance, then please contact our support team for further assistance.

Hope this helps!
Thank you - this will start an active full?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Jan 26, 2013 9:32 pm

It will just start the job, active full/synthetic or incremental choice will depend on your current job settings at this day. If you want to force active full run, then use this parameter in the PS script above.

Shralok
Enthusiast

Post by Shralok » Jan 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:It will just start the job, active full/synthetic or incremental choice will depend on your current job settings at this day. If you want to force active full run, then use this parameter in the PS script above.
OK and just so I fully understand, I have another question:

Job1 is set to back up every 6 hours and it is also set to perform an Active Full on Wednesdays. However, it is running the Active Full at the same time as a bunch of other Active Full are scheduled, so I need to set the start time for the Active Full manually. This I have covered with PS scripts that you have provided.

However, will the Active Full still perform as regular or does Veeam recognize the PS command and "skip" the Active Full?

To illustrate this: the Active Full currently runs at 05:00. If I set the PS script to kick off an Active Full at 01:00, will the job still run at 05:00 or will Veeam set itself for "Next run" at 07:00 (01:00 +6 hours) for an incremental?

Basically, do I need to disable the Active Full checkbox in the job setup since I will be doing it with a PS script via Task Scheduler? :?

Separately, any idea on of this will be built into a next release? Having to set all of this manually is quite a pain... I bought Veeam because I thought it was simple :cry:

Thank you again :mrgreen:

v.eremin
Product Manager
Liked: 1315 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by v.eremin » Jan 28, 2013 4:57 pm

In fact, there is a built-in mechanism according to which job stays aware about full backup having been performed previously this day. In other words, job will not produce a second full backup at this day.

Yes, in case of using abovementioned PowerShell script along with Windows Scheduler, you can uncheck the Active Full checkbox.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Shralok
Enthusiast

Post by Shralok » Jan 29, 2013 8:13 pm

OK I ran a test job via PowerShell and this is the result:

Server1 (Full)
Start Time 13:35
End Time 15:01
Next Run 17:00

This job is set for every 6 hours. So why is it wanting to run again at 17:00 which is only 2 hours after a Full?

This is the root of my problem. I need to space out my 6 hour incrementals so they are not all firing off at the same time.

v.eremin
Product Manager
Liked: 1315 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by v.eremin » Jan 30, 2013 10:04 am

It is expected behavior indeed, since manual job run shouldn’t affect general schedule in any way.

Only in case of you going to job “Schedule” menu and making changes, will the job schedule settings be revisioned.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Shralok
Enthusiast

Post by Shralok » Jan 30, 2013 2:36 pm

v.Eremin wrote:It is expected behavior indeed, since manual job run shouldn’t affect general schedule in any way.

Only in case of you going to job “Schedule” menu and making changes, will the job schedule settings be revisioned.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
OK, so all 5 of my "every-6-hours" jobs go at 05:00, 11:00, 17:00, 23:00

Is there any way to separate them, for example making one of them go at 03:00, 09:00, 15:00, 21:00?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1481 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Jan 30, 2013 8:40 pm

You can edit the job and set the required start time for it - the next start time is calculated by the time of job editing, when you press Finish at the last step.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3254 times

Post by Gostev » Feb 03, 2013 11:10 pm

Just wanted to note that the ability to define start time for periodic jobs was added in 6.5 release, so there is no need to use scripts any longer.

Shralok
Enthusiast

Post by Shralok » Feb 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Gostev wrote:Just wanted to note that the ability to define start time for periodic jobs was added in 6.5 release, so there is no need to use scripts any longer.
To my knowledge, the only start time you can define is the minute on which the job will start. You cannot specify an overall start time for a periodic job (i.e. Run this 6-hour incremental starting every day at 04:00).

ptmartin
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Paul Martin

Post by ptmartin » Feb 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi Anton,
Still waiting on Monthly and Annual backup option to start on the FIrst "Day" or Last "Day". Also noted that the scheduler to only back up on certain days on the week in a given month seems to not work either. I have noted the same results in both recent versions in which (as an example) I have a backup job scheduled to run on the first Monday of every month. Somehow this is interpreted by the software to mean "run the backup job every 5 days." :?

Deduplication makes it not as big of an issue regarding storage requirement but the "point-in-time" capability is lost.

Any thoughts?

- Paul

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Feb 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Paul,
ptmartin wrote:Also noted that the scheduler to only back up on certain days on the week in a given month seems to not work either. I have noted the same results in both recent versions in which (as an example) I have a backup job scheduled to run on the first Monday of every month. Somehow this is interpreted by teh software to mean "run the backup job every 5 days."
Can you please contact our technical team to investigate this issue further, meanwhile I will ask our QC team to verify that as well.

Thanks!