Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PaulTea
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Turville

Feature Request - Suspend Snapshot Retension Policy During Planned Failover

Post by PaulTea »

Hi

I've been using Veeam to replicate VMs between old and new hardware before performing a planned failover onto the new vCenter instance. (Storage vMotion is not an option here)

This has been working great but I've run into an issue with some larger VMs. I need to do the initial sync out of hours and then keep them in sync with scheduled jobs for several days until I'm ready for the planned failover.

This means I've hit the threshold for the retention policy and the planned failover has to wait for snapshots to be deleted for both replication passes. This slows down the failover for a large VM considerably.

I'd like to see an option added to the planned failover job to ignore the retention policy until the failover is complete and to do the tidy up then.

I could manually up the replica count before running the job but I'd like to avoid manual steps and I'm sure there are times when people want to do as planned failover as fast as possible and aren't too bothered if that means a couple of extra snapshots for the duration of the job.

Thoughts?
Cheers

Paul
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request - Suspend Snapshot Retension Policy During Planned Failover

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

The request itself makes sense for your situation. On the other hand, one of the Veeam goals is to keep the UI / software as user-friendly as possible. Every new feature adds some kind of complexity. Your request would require to add a UI element, because nobody would expect a registry key for this. Adding UI elements makes the software more complex. Although it might help 0,001% of the users, it could confuse others.

So nothing is wrong with your request, but as long as the forum is not full with the same customers requests, your mentioned workaround will be the way to go :-)

Best regards,
Hannes