Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EricDJ
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eric de Jonge

Feature request: Unable to do a SQL log backup when a instance has the same name

Post by EricDJ » 1 person likes this post

We have one Hyper-V enviroment with multiple domains. Here we have 2 SQL VM clusters with VHD-set shared drives. Therefore we must use Veeam backup agent to perform the backup.
We are using one backup server with one central database to perform all backups.
VBR sees this SQL servers as the same instance. We have Server1.domainA.com\clu1 and Server1.domainB.com\clu1, looks like VBR don't see the domain suffix.
When we want to perform a SQL log backup, VBR sees a conflict that the log backup is already performed. There is no problem when the backup is performed seperately.
Therefore we had no other choice than install a second backup server with his own database to do this backup without errors.
This gave us a design problem, because we want to replicate all backup to a secondary location and write it to tape.
Hope this can be solved, so we can correct our design.
Reference: case #03824688, case #04192803
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Feature request: Unable to do a SQL log backup when a instance has the same name

Post by PetrM »

Hi Eric,

I've reviewed the support case and I see that some enhancements in this area are already planned for future releases.
I'm going to clarify details and will update the thread as soon as I have more information.

Thanks!
EricDJ
Novice

Re: Feature request: Unable to do a SQL log backup when a instance has the same name

Post by EricDJ »

Thanks Petr, that's good news!
Seve CH
Enthusiast
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: JM Severino

Post by Seve CH » 1 person likes this post

EricDJ wrote: Nov 10, 2020 2:56 pm VBR sees this SQL servers as the same instance. We have Server1.domainA.com\clu1 and Server1.domainB.com\clu1, looks like VBR don't see the domain suffix.
Nice to know. We are moving from backup islands to a central Veeam solution in a multi-forest environment. We will need to take into account this.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

@EricDJ Just to confirm: we've noted the feature request based on your support case but I cannot comment on ETA because we didn't decide yet on priority of this functionality.

Thanks!
Coldfirex
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Alan Shearer

Post by Coldfirex » 1 person likes this post

This would be a welcome addition for our DBAs!
EricDJ
Novice

Post by EricDJ »

PetrM wrote: Nov 12, 2020 9:05 pm @EricDJ Just to confirm: we've noted the feature request based on your support case but I cannot comment on ETA because we didn't decide yet on priority of this functionality.

Thanks!
Any news for this request yet?
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Eric,

It's on our radar but we have no enough requests for it, therefore I still have no information about ETA.

Thanks!