matthydras
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Hydras

Feature request – User role Enterprise Manager

Post by matthydras »

Hello,

I am service provider with VBR Enterprise +
I want to use Enterprise manager for my customer to have an access and an overview of their VM.

Here an example to explain :
Requirements :
Customer 1 : Virtual machine A B C
Customer 2 : Virtual machine X Y Z
Customer 1 can manage virtual machine A B C in enterprise manager (Reports, Job state and restore process)
Customer 2 can manage virtual machine X Y Z in enterprise manager (Reports, Job state and restore process)

Problem :
Restore operator user role cannot be used for that requirements (don’t have access to reports and job state)
Every portal user can see virtual machine A B C & X Y Z in JOB tab and REPORT tab

As a service provider I don’t want my customer being able to see the VM of other customer (obvious privacy reason)

I hope this feature will be included fastly on Veeam Entreprise Manager.

Have a nice day

Matt
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature request – User role Enterprise Manager

Post by foggy »

Matt, thanks for your feedback, it makes total sense and we actually keep this in mind. Meanwhile I'd suggest to review the following VeeamON 2014 session: Multi-tenancy: Roles, scopes and encryption in Veeam Enterprise Manager; might be useful. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matt,

Do you have virtual infrastructure installed in your site or you provide backup as a service to your clients, meaning that you manage their VBR installations, but provide a read-only interface to see the status of backup jobs etc.?

Thanks!
matthydras
Influencer

Post by matthydras »

Hi Foggy, Hi Vitaly

Vitaly,
I have my own infrastructure on site and I used VBR backup for my clients VM.
In this case, I would "offer" the self-restore service to Entreprise Manager and restore operator.
But on some cases, I would create some Veeam Backup administrators with limited access only on client's VMs.
In this cas, on Entreprise Manager I haven't this capacity.

Foggy,
You're true. I haven't the time to see the complete video but all is on the title.
I hope I can have the time to see it this week :)

Matt
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Matt, thanks for sharing! Can you please also tell me how you're going to charge your clients? Based on the number of protected VMs, consumed storage or something else?
matthydras
Influencer

Post by matthydras »

Hi Vitaly

I will charge the client based to the consumed storage.
In fact, in my backup concepts, clients need to subscribe to allowed space on my Vmware infrastructure. In this case, I can't used the Cloud Connect fonctionnalities so I used my monitoring solution to check periodically the size used for each client with warning and critical threshold for each.

I hope this explain can help you ;-)

Matt
matthydras
Influencer

Post by matthydras »

Hi Foggy

I have watch the video Luca Dell’Oca from the VeeamON 2014.
Sorry, perhaps I haven't understand well but the only way on which Luca called is the self restore service isn't it ?

The only solution is to used the self-service restore service which can't managed Reports, Job state but can manage restore process.
Finally, the account has local administrative rights. I can imagine it for windows but quid for Linux servers ?

I think that the self-service restore feature is a "workaround" of my feature request and not the full solution for the Veeam Service Providers no ?

Have all a nice day

Matt
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Matt,
you are right in your findinds, the self-service restore also is designed for enterprises, not service providers, as one of the requirements is that the VM needs to be joined to the same Active Directory of the Veeam server. I remember this was discussed in the presentation linked here I did last here, and the question came right from a service provider.
So far I think the restore operator is still the safe option for multi-tenancy, but as you understood it cannot access reports.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
matthydras
Influencer

Post by matthydras »

Hello Luca

I have seen your video and I find it very interesting but something we did'nt understand the question. I hope on the VeeamOn 2015 it will be better ?
Does the Veeam software engineers have some informations about the VBR9 to go forward to this point ?

Finally, I would to thank you for your pdf documents about the performances and the cloud connect architecture.

Have all a nice day.

Matt
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Thanks for the kind words Matt.
I don't have informations about possible enhancements in the Enterprise Manager coming in v9. I'll have a look at it.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
tiwas
Lurker
Full Name: Timo Wasmer

[MERGED] Is the Veeam Enterprise Manager multi-tenant?

Post by tiwas »

Hi,

I'm working for a Service Provider and we would like to use the veeam Enterprise Manager on our vCloud Director Platform thereby the different customers can do their restore jobs by themselves. As far as I understand there are different roles in the Enterprise Manager (Portal Admin, Restore User and Portal User). Can customer A become a Portal Admin and manage his internal users without seeing the users and VMs of customer B? Is the Enterprise Manager multi tentant? Or must we manage (as Portal Amin) all the different user of the customers.

I've seen a threat from 2013 where it wasn't possible. Has this changed with version 9 in the meantime?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Here's another useful thread on this matter.