Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
J1mbo
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Re: Features Request in Veeam Backup v6.1

Post by J1mbo » Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am 2 people like this post

ekisner wrote:Tape would be cool too
Tape is cool only in a museum context :)

DJ82
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Hartmann

Post by DJ82 » Jul 27, 2012 10:00 am

Hi

A nice feature I think is to select more Information about the VM in the Host View Section.

I want to view there the OS.

Thanks, Daniel

wimdes
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: wim desmedt

Post by wimdes » Sep 24, 2012 4:21 pm 1 person likes this post

It's easy for someone with access to a customer's management environment to delete both all virtual machines + online backups, with a just few mouse clicks: i would not sleep well without some form of offline backup.
Integrated Tape backup (D2D2T, + direct vm restore from tape) would be very interesting.

Nowadays we regularly copy our customer's backups to usb disks, but we have to resort to 3rd party tools to verify the copy (which have detected bad copies more than once).
Integrated usb disk copy/verify would be excellent.

Spex
Enthusiast
Full Name: Stefan Holzwarth

Post by Spex » Sep 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Despite the fact that Quest Software is a client of Storage Switzerland I agree with this article, that underlines the importance of this feature request.
http://www.storage-switzerland.com/Arti ... ackup.html

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3257 times

Post by Gostev » Sep 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Stefan, what feature request specifically do you mean by "this"?

carlk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Carl

Post by carlk » Sep 28, 2012 6:29 am

+1 for Tape Drive support please :)

Spex
Enthusiast
Full Name: Stefan Holzwarth

Post by Spex » Sep 28, 2012 8:28 am

Backup of physical machines - as Quest brings in it's next release.
We think about using veeam in future for our infrastructure (>90% virtualized) and would have to continue using tsm for the remaining rest....

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Sep 28, 2012 4:43 pm 1 person likes this post

Spex wrote:Backup of physical machines - as Quest brings in it's next release
Not a very good justification considering that all product management decisions made by Quest for the past 5 years resulted in complete loss of their market share in virtual backup to us (when Vizioncore was clear market leader at the time of Quest acquisition). And it's not because we are some kind of Gods - but mostly because their decisions were literally stupid. I've been seeing them giving us the market away with every decision they made - no one probably knows the whole story of this fail better than I do. And I learnt a lot on their mistakes, so I am quite thankful to them too :wink:

This new move is not an exception, and will only make it lose remaining customers due to distracting R&D from advancing virtual backup functionality (where they are already ages behind us).

Trying to be everything for everyone never worked well for anyone in this world yet.

dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » Sep 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Also, Quest has been acquired by Dell, and they already bought AppAssure, so it's not even clear how they will (if they will) merge the two products. AppAssure is already able to backup physical servers, so they will end up with another duplicated feature in their catalog. Not a clear situation at all...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2019
Veeam VMCE #1

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Sep 28, 2012 10:03 pm

3 products, actually. Dell now has three products equally bad products doing EXACTLY the same thing, thanks to latest vRanger developments (vRanger, AppAssure and NetVault). Some "product rationalization" decisions are coming soon, I bet! They quite obviously will not be keeping all 3 products around for long - eating R&D resources, competing with each other and confusing the hell out of their sales and prospects.

yizhar
Service Provider
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Post by yizhar » Sep 29, 2012 3:19 am

Hi.

I would like to see the following features in a future Veeam version:

1. Job group:
Allow me to have several separated jobs (each job has 1 or more VM),
but also a job group that will allow to have a single schedule (start at HH:MM and run the jobs in order I specify, or in parrallel if I choose to).
Also get a single email report for the whole group of jobs.

2. Granular ad-hoc backup of single/few VM.
Assuming I have a job with several VMs included.
I want to run ad-hoc (but yet incremental) backup of a single VM - backuping up only that specific VM and skipping the other.
This cannot be done in current version (only options I have are running the whole job with all servers, or running a different ad hoc full backup job).
An example of expected feature is from vmwares VDR: I can right click a single VM and "backup now" to the already existing dedup folder, using CBT etc.

Thanks,
Yizhar Hurwitz
Israel

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Sep 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi all,

I am locking this thread down, because it promotes completely unmanageable way of submitting and tracking feature requests (mutliple unrelated requests in the same topic). Makes it impossible for other people to chime in and comment on specific ones (not even talking about having deeper/thorough discussion).

Please create a separate topic for each feature request - having searched the forum for the existing discussion first. All feature requests mentioned so far already have existing discussions topics with many implementation suggestions, and my comments (some are a few pages long). Don't worry too much if you miss the existing discussion - with separate topic for each feature request, it will be easy for moderators to merge your topic into the existing discussion. Nevertheless, please do due diligence searching the forums first to save everyone some time ;)

Thank you.