Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
crenstrom
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chad Renstrom

Features request: storage integration improvements

Post by crenstrom »

I have two NimbleStorage SANs and have been using Veeam with storage integration for over 6 months and have some thoughts for improvements. Please pardon some terminology as Nimble says volumes when other storage vendors say LUNs.

UI changes
  • In Backup Infrastructure: Application Group, VM selection from storage snapshot should include the name of the source infrastructure (Storage1, Storage2, VeeamRespository1, VeeamRepository2, etc). Knowing the source is helpful for selecting the correct Virtual Lab.
  • In job schedules, the "After this job" selection list should be grouped by job type and ordered alphabetically.
  • The job report start time is the same for every line item. This causes the duration to be incorrect. For example, a 37 GB item is listed with a 40+ hours duration when it actually took ~10 minutes.
Configuration
  • On Storage Infrastructure: It's handy that Veeam can read storage snapshots, even if they aren't Veeam initiated. However this seems to be limited to the LUN which include the .vmx file. If a server has hard drives in another storage volume, I'm not able to browse those with Veeam. At the very least could it me mounted to the local proxy and browsed?
  • Increased schedule options. Within the Nimble I can have multiple schedules with varied replication and retention. I'd like the same scheduling capabilities within Veeam similar to a GFS schedule for tape jobs. For example, hourly snapshots would be replicated to the secondary SAN and stored for 1 business day. Daily snapshots are stored for 4 weeks on the SAN, maybe longer in the repository.
  • Not every backup job should result in writing to the repository, sometimes storage replication is sufficient.
  • Veeam Replication jobs should utilize the storage technology and clone the existing storage snapshot. VM config could still be stored in another location, but I think utilizing the storage snapshot would reduce SAN storage, I/O, and faster availability.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Features request: storage integration improvements

Post by foggy »

Hi Chad, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. A couple of comments:
crenstrom wrote:[*]Not every backup job should result in writing to the repository, sometimes storage replication is sufficient.
This is achievable with the help of snapshot-only jobs.
crenstrom wrote:[*]Veeam Replication jobs should utilize the storage technology and clone the existing storage snapshot. VM config could still be stored in another location, but I think utilizing the storage snapshot would reduce SAN storage, I/O, and faster availability.[/list]
This is as well possible, replication jobs can use storage snapshots as a source.
crenstrom
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chad Renstrom

Post by crenstrom »

Thanks foggy - I don't think I've noticed the snapshot-only job before, thrilled to learn that exists! If you have a minute, where do I configure a replication jobs to use storage snapshots as a source? I only see repositories in the selection list.
Perhaps I first need a backup job which is snapshot only?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Replication jobs can be configured to use storage snapshots as a source in similar way to the backup jobs.