Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bpickell
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Pickell

File Copy Job issues

Post by bpickell »

We are using Veam Backup & Replication version 5.0.1.198 and we are trying to setup a File Copy Job; however it keeps failing.

The situation is as follows:

We have two separate DMZ networks in our infrastructure. And inside those DMZ networks there is a NAS device. We are backing up the VM's inside those DMZ networks to the NAS devices. What we are trying to accomplish is use Veeam File Copy to copy the backups off of the NAS device to a file share on another NAS device on our Domain so that the backups can go off site to tape.

On the server that Veeam is installed on I mapped network drives to the NAS devices that are inside the DMZ's I supplied the network drives with the administrator credentials for those shares. The problem that I am seeing is when I set up file copy to connect to the mapped drives, it isn't using the mapped drives to connect to the shares. It is using the UNC path of the shares to connect. By doing this the job fails due to authentication errors.

I need to find a way to get this working. I have been using Robocopy up to this point, but it just is not reliable enough for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bpickell
Novice

Re: File Copy Job issues

Post by bpickell »

I tried saving the credentials in windows password vault. I can now navigate through windows explorer to the UNC path shares without any authentication problems. However Veeam File copy is still failing when I try to run it.. So now I'm completely confused.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Brian,

Let me shed some light on your issue.

The point is that we use Veeam Backup Service account to access destination storage. The reason why UNC path is being used for the job is the following - mapped drives are per-user (stored in HKCU), so Veeam Backup service account cannot see that drive, you can only see it while being logged on interactively.

I guess a workaround would to grant Veeam Backup Service account with access to your NAS device. In addition, please have a look at this topic, should help: Backup to NAS box with security OR securing backups

Thank you!
bpickell
Novice

Post by bpickell »

Well the linux thing seems to be an ok temporary band-aid for now; since it does seem to work. However it is painfully slow. We are averaging about 600 kb/s using this method.

It would be nice if you could somehow allow separate authentication to the share in the setup of the job like a lot of other backup software allows. That would just make my life a whole lot easier.

Edit: One other thing I noticed using this method. If the directory we are trying to copy has more than two nested directories.. It doesn't copy anything but the top two directories. That is a huge problem in my case.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Brian,

Could you tell me what is the CPU load on your Linux box while the copy job takes place?
bpickell wrote:It would be nice if you could somehow allow separate authentication to the share in the setup of the job like a lot of other backup software allows. That would just make my life a whole lot easier.
Thank you for the feedback, we'll see what we can do here.
dapidap
Novice
Full Name: Dapearl SJ

Post by dapidap »

Hi,

I know this forum has not been posted with replies in a while, but I am experiencing same issue but with Veeam Backup & Replication 6.0 on windows Server 2008 Hyper-V . I hope you have find any workarounds with it.

My File Copy job just don't do anything, It is always on "0% completed at 0 KB/s" state for like hours. I am trying to copy a folder of 300GB to a VHD attached to VEEAM VM Server which I have no trouble backing up some VMs to it with the same credential, but on a File Copy job, it's just not working.

I have on the "Item to copy" as source - "D:\MainFoldername\SubFoldername" with Host "192.xxx.x.x"
I have a Destination path as "\\servername\D$\DestinationFolder"

When I run the job, it didn't even copied a file.

I hope someone could give some workaround, I am using the File Copy wizard.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, please open a support case and let them investigate the debug logs to find out what the issue is. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dapearl,

I guess you have a slightly different issue, as your copy job doesn't fail, but keep running with 0 progress.
dapidap wrote: I am trying to copy a folder of 300GB to a VHD attached to VEEAM VM Server which I have no trouble backing up some VMs to it with the same credential, but on a File Copy job, it's just not working.

I have a Destination path as "\\servername\D$\DestinationFolder"
Since you have the VHD file attached to the backup server, why not to point to this drive directly without specifying this path "\\servername\D$\"?

Thanks!
dapidap
Novice
Full Name: Dapearl SJ

Post by dapidap »

Hi Vitaly,

I tried it using below on File copy job wizard:

Source: A folder (375GB) from another sever (not on hyper-v) "\\192.xxx.x.x\D$\FolderName" - this a groupdata folder shared by users where they backup their important files.

Destination: A vhd (added as repository) slaved to a VM on Hyper-V where Veeam Backup is running. I can browse it from the wizard and point directly to it.

However still it doesn't execute, status would state 0 progress, on the real-time stat only the time duration is running.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In this case it would be better to take a look a the job log file, so please open a support ticket with our technical team. Thanks!
cvlr
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Christophe Van Lierde

[MERGED] File Copy Job does not detect HP RDX drive

Post by cvlr »

Our backups are done to disk and afterwards copied to an RDX drive. At least that was the initial plan.

The Veeam File Copy Job fails with error "Could not find a part of the path 'E:\'."

E:\ drive is our RDX drive.
In the job log I found out that the E:\ drive is not detected (not enumerated during local host drive info).
The E:\ drive is available if I logon as the veeam service account on the backup server.

Using Windows 2012 and Veeam 6.5 with patch 1
Veeam Certified Engineer v9 / Veeam Gold Pro Partner
cvlr
Service Provider

Re: File Copy Job does not detect HP RDX drive

Post by cvlr »

update : tried using unc path to \\localhost\e$ but it ends with same error. Share permissions are ok.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Re: File Copy Job does not detect HP RDX drive

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Mapped drives are only visible when you log in to your server interactively, that is why it fails in the initial case. Can you please try to use UNC path without "$" sign?
cvlr
Service Provider

Post by cvlr »

E:\ drive is not a mapped drive. Tried UNC path without $ sign but that does not work either. I can however use the drive as Backup Repository.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Christophe. This error might be also caused by the fact that account running Veeam Backup service does not have permissions to read/write to the target path set in the job.

Anyway, the fastest way to address the issue is to open a ticket with support team, since it’s way too complicated to investigate technical problem remotely through forum correspondence.
Our backups are done to disk and afterwards copied to an RDX drive. At least that was the initial plan.
Additionally, as a potential workaround you can write a simple PS script which would be responsible for taking corresponding backup-files to RDX drive and which would be specified as post-job activity or scheduled to run via Windows Scheduler.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
cvlr
Service Provider

Post by cvlr » 3 people like this post

I finally got it working by disabling failure auditing on removable storage in Windows 2012 :

auditpol /set /subcategory:"Removable Storage" /failure:disable