Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
Liked: 1275 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: File Copy Job Question

Post by Vitaliy S. » Nov 02, 2017 4:26 pm

What kind of source do you want to protect with file copy job? Do you back up NAS devices with this or something else?

O1982
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Owen Thompson

Post by O1982 » Apr 06, 2018 9:51 am

+1 for Incremental File Copy Option.

Use case:
Netapp CIFS Share Backup.

Or even better NDMP :D

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1346 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Apr 06, 2018 11:02 am

Hi Owen, ability to backup CIFS shares with Veeam B&R was announced last summer. There's a dedicated topic for this.

O1982
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Owen Thompson

Post by O1982 » Apr 09, 2018 7:49 am

Hi Foggy,

Does File Copy have incremental functionality?

Best Regards,

Owen

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1346 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Apr 09, 2018 11:54 am

No, it doesn't.

MichalM
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: MichalM

[MERGED]File Copy Job - additions switches

Post by MichalM » Aug 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Hello, is it possible to make File Copy Job not overwrite files on destination folder? I got a lot of files that are constantly updated and enlarged (some are at size of 2.5TB+) and copying them over and over again is going to take a lot of time and resources (network and storage life). I would love to get a way to make File Copy Job not overwrite files but instead just skip them during the job. Is that even possible? maybe CLI is able to do it?

Dima P.
Veeam Software
Liked: 616 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » Aug 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Hello Michal.

File copy job works on a file level and not on the block level, thus does not provide incremental copy capabilities. I've merged your post to the existing thread to keep track of this feature request. Cheers!

MichalM
Novice

Post by MichalM » Aug 28, 2018 5:29 am

Is there a possibility for this functionality to be added to B&R? It would really help.

Dima P.
Veeam Software
Liked: 616 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » Aug 28, 2018 6:23 pm

Michal,

I've added you vote to this feature request. May I ask if you are using file copy as a data protection replacement? There are few tools that provide incremental backup on a block level and are absolutely free (for example Veeam Agents can be used on Windows or Linux file servers).

MichalM
Novice

Post by MichalM » Aug 29, 2018 6:21 am

I wanted to use File Copy Job as a substitute for any other software since we are unable to install/use any software other than Veeam B&R, for which we have a Enterprise licence. Our client demands us to use just Veeam so we created a Backup Job for VMs but we wanted to replace Backup Copy Job with File Copy Job since backup files are all what we need. It would be simplier if our client was not so locked on pure Veeam functions, then I would just use some PowerShell scripts within Backup Job but hey, at least I have some fun figuring out what we can do :)

rboynton
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rick Boynton

Post by rboynton » Sep 24, 2018 7:48 pm

I too vote for this enhancement. We create PST files from a user exchange mailbox when they leave the company. We put those PST files on a separate server, but want to also copy them to our DR site server just in case the original location suffers a major loss. The list of PST's only grows larger over time, so copying the entire folder does not make sense. We used something like this many years ago, but don't recall the name. Did a search and found an open source called FreeFileSync. Seems like employing a tool like that would be a great improvement in cases like ours. Please?