Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andymarson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Marson

[Feature Request] - File copy job target file housekeeping

Post by andymarson »

I would like to see a new feature in the configuration of a File Copy Job (FCJ) that allow you to manage the versions of the files in the target.

Currently we have FCJs to copy the Veeam configuration backup files and the stored backup files from a SAP HANA DB Veeam plug-in (Backint) backup to a repo in our DR site. As this copies all files and does not perform any action on the target for files deleted in the source we have had to create housekeeping scripts to keep the required number of files in the target (DR) location.

I would like to see either additional configuration available in the FCJ to manage the target files, or a more global housekeeping maintenance task that can be scheduled on the VBR to maintain files in a Veeam repo.

Regards,

Andy
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: [Feature Request] - File copy job target file housekeeping

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forum.

I would like to remove the file copy feature completely from the product. It almost never does what a customer expects :-)

We plan that the backup copy job (simple mode) can copy BackInt files. That means you don't need to use the File-Copy-Job anymore.

Best regards,
Hannes
andymarson
Novice

Post by andymarson »

Hi Hannes,

Thanks for the update, so that would address the need to offsite the Backint files, but how about the Veeam configuration backup.

Will the new backup copy job feature include the ability to provide any repository stored data (i.e. Configuration Backup target) as the source for the copy, or better still can the Configuration Backup include a new feature for an offsite backup?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
unfortunately, the new simple backup copy job also cannot copy configuration backups. But NAS backup could do that (well, then it is stored in the NAS backup format...)

What about pointing the configuration directly to the off-site location?

Requests for copy of the configuration are rare...

Best regards,
Hannes
andymarson
Novice

Post by andymarson »

I considered the direct to offsite repo, but as most of the time your configuration restores are likely to be done when the main DC is available I will keep the copies local and continue with the FCJ and housekeeping scripts.

I will review the v10 planned features and review when it has been released.

Regards,

Andy
kevin.mcdonnell
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kevin McDonnell

[MERGED] Feature Request - Configuration Backup

Post by kevin.mcdonnell »

Hi,

The current Configuration Backup is created and administered though a separate function to that of all other jobs. Therefore options like "Backup Copy Job" are not applicable to it.

Other backup products use the normal scheduling and job control to protect whatever they consider the "configuration" to be, and then has special options within the standard job specification to accommodate the protection needed. NetWorker has "Index Backup", NetBackup has the "Catalog Backup"; why can't Veeam do the same as it already has it already has a number of "Backup Job" type ("VM", "Windows computer", "Linux computer").

I would expect the "Configuration Restore" option to still be implemented as a special dialog and procedure, but see no reason why the backup cannot be created the standard way.

Looking forward to seeing what other think.

Regards,

Kev
Kevin McDonnell
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Kevin, thanks for the request. Please see above - currently, there is a way to copy configuration backup files, File Copy job can be used for that. NAS Backup in v10 will also be able to do that.