Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
veehexx
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

final backup of certain file server content

Post by veehexx »

we have a shared drive that all our staff use to store work documents. It's project/team/department related and we know we have a lot of old legacy content thats just not needed.

paths would be along the lines of the following, where we'd need to archive specific content at the Division and Team levels. Some instances the entire division needs to go, and others where only certain teams within the same division will need to go:
s:\data\Division\Team\Resource\...

question is whats the best way to do a final backup of this before removing these locations?
The best idea i've come up with so far is ensure a current backup is taken of file server, excel docu this point in time with date, backup job name and paths intended to be cleaned up incase we need to refer back to it in the future and shift+del the content on file server. This would then allow veeam to handle existing retentions etc.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: final backup of certain file server content

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the "best way" is probably different for different people.

When I was responsible for our internal IT, I always said "please do backup of the full machine before removing it". KISS - keep it stupid simple. Because after some time someone would come with "do we still have XYZ?".

If it's a VM, then I would do VeeamZIP of that VM and that's it.

But sure, you can also do it at every level of complexity you like
1) NAS backup job with the folders you need
2) Veeam Agent file based backup jobs
3) Exclusions of files & folders https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes