Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Fixed Backup Proxy - Failover?

Post by yakamoneye18 »

Hello everyone,

I am just now starting to play with mutliple backup proxies in my network, and so far I have amazing results. Until now, I had one Veeam B&R hardware server backing up VMs on 3 ESX hosts. No we build a remote datacenter where we want to replicate all our vms. To limit the bandwidth of this replication I first tried to install a virtual Backup Proxy into the remote ESX farm. This worked, so I wanted to expperiment with a virutal Backup Proxy on the main site. Backups are now 7 times faster then before, which is amazing and I want to do this with all my jobs.

My problem: all three Backup Servers (B&R Server and both proxy servers) are in the same IP range, even the one in the remote location. When I enable automatic proxy for the jobs, Veeam sometime chooses the proxy in the remote location to backup my local vms to disk. So I not only loose the advantage of Virtual Appliance transport mode, I also flood my connection to the remote office with backup data.
So what I did is I fixed the job to the virtual BackupProxy in the main site. My question now is: what happens if this backup proxy goes offline? Will it automatically failover to one of the other proxy servers (ideally the B&R Server), or will this job just fail?

Thanks for clarification...

Regards,

Tobias
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Fixed Backup Proxy - Failover?

Post by foggy »

Hi Tobias, if you also include the default proxy (Veeam B&R server itself) into the list of allowed proxies in the job settings, it will be selected in case the hotadd one is not available.
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Post by yakamoneye18 »

Hello Alexander,

this is what I was hoping. My concern is: if I allow both the virtual proxy and the physical B&R Server as Backup Proxies, will Veeam always prefer using the virutal appliance? Or may it swing between both allowed proxies since they are in the same network segment?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hot Add is always more preferable method than NBD from backup server perspective, so, I wouldn't worry about this. Thanks!