Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mchapman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: MARK CHAPMAN

FLR - Access denied to Volume

Post by mchapman »

Support Case: 01015172

Been having an issue with this for a while and spent some time working with Veeam Support on this too...

We have one particular backup job that, performs its backup fine, however, when we need to do a FLR get a warning that 'Access to the path "C:\VeeamFLR\STAFFUSERS\Volume1" is denied' and subsequently the volume does not show in the restore explorer.

The server itself is a MS 2012 standard server with 3 HDDs - the other volumes show fine

The volume in question is deduplicated but this has not been an issue in the past

Note - there have been no configuration changes to the VM since before August when this issue began and FLR from this server has worked as expected in the past - the only change recently was an upgrade to the latest B&R update 2b

Has any one else had this happen to them?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: FLR - Access denied to Volume

Post by foggy »

Mark, haven't you tried to use Other OS wizard to perform restore from this volume?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

mchapman wrote:The volume in question is deduplicated but this has not been an issue in the past
Do you mean that it is a deduplication volume configured in Windows Server 2012? If this is the case, then please take a look at the RN document. Do you have this configuration made on the backup server as well?
To restore files from deduplicated volumes, backup server must be installed on Windows Server 2012 or later with Data Deduplication feature enabled in the OS settings. In Windows Server 2012 R2 environments, be sure to install Veeam Backup & Replication on Windows Server 2012 R2, as Windows Server 2012 deduplication driver is not compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2 deduplication, causing file level recovery errors with false data corruption reports.
mchapman
Novice

Post by mchapman »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Do you mean that it is a deduplication volume configured in Windows Server 2012? If this is the case, then please take a look at the RN document. Do you have this configuration made on the backup server as well?
Apologies for the delay in replying.

The backup server has the deduplication feature installed as well as the repository and the guest VM - I have other servers with deduplicated volumes that work fine with FLR
foggy wrote:Mark, haven't you tried to use Other OS wizard to perform restore from this volume?
I had and initally it did not work, however I have just run it again and whilst it has worked this time the volume labels are mixed up compared to the name of the disk i.e. the explorer reports that the SERVER_DATA.vhdx actually contains the OS and Boot partitions and the SERVER_OS.vhdx contains the data on the volume I'm having issues with.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'm also seeing from the case that Windows FLR has also worked last time, so might be some sort of intermittent issue. Please keep in touch with support to investigate it further.
mchapman
Novice

Post by mchapman »

I will do... I have only just updated this... annoyingly it has just started to work...