Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Force Incremental Backup

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

Hello,
I'm dealing with a nightmare scenario where our Friday night full Veeam backup of a physical server has been interrupted multiple times for several weeks now, due to various issues (network hiccups, reboots for patching, etc). This office has now gone weeks without a backup. Is there a way for me to force the job to temporarily run incrementals for a few days, JUST to get them a few backups they can use? Then, I would try kicking off the full again and hopefully it would complete this time. Thank you for any advice!
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Force Incremental Backup

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tim,

Could you specify the current backup mode, do you work with active fulls?
Did you consider using quick backup?

You can also review this thread, might give you some hints.

Thanks!
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert

Thank you Natalia! The Quick Backup tip was just what I needed. I will try that.

The backup scheme is fairly simple. Every Friday night run an Active Full backup (runs all weekend), then on weeknights run an Incremental. Retention of 14 days.
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert

Unfortunately, as best as I can tell, the Quick Backup appears to have kicked off a full backup as well. Any other ideas?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Why not to try to run a job during weeknights? Such run should not create a full backup, since a job will be executed on days not selected for full backup schedule.

Or is it the last incomplete full restore point that prevents you from doing so? In this case you might reach our support team and let them clean it up.

However, if this environment has been missing any restore points for weeks, the next increment might be as big as full backup.
Thanks!
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert

veremin, thank you for responding. Unfortunately I've confirmed with Veeam Support that this is essentially a 'feature not a bug' situation. There is no way at all to force an incremental in this situation. To say the least, I urgently made a feature request.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Indeed, active full is required in case it has been interrupted. What Vladimir has suggested is that support could probably clear some flag in the Veeam B&R database so that the next job run would be incremental.