Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
irrision
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Irrision

Forever forward incremental

Post by irrision »

I saw this in the new features document but haven't been able to find how this is different then Forward incremental. Specifically I'd love to know what the space usage with dedupe/compression in Veeam look like for this new method versus Reverse incremental and classic forward incremental. I'm wondering if anyone has seen where there might be more details on this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Forever forward incremental

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This mode does not change dedupe/compression ratio, however the backup chain will consume less space due to the absence of periodic fulls, and will put less load on the backup repository hardware. Check out this online help center web page for further reading. Thanks!
d.lansinklesscher
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Dennis Lansink

Post by d.lansinklesscher »

I remember that for reverse incremental in v7 it was recommended to run an active full every once in while to prevent bit rot and other storage problems. I cannot find anything about this in the current documentation, so my question is: Is it safe to run the new forever-incremental mode?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, you can run forward incremental forever backup mode without periodic full backups. Moreover, that is what that mode has been designed for. Thanks.
maxfontana
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Massimiliano Fontana

Post by maxfontana »

Would you be so kind to explain me why I should now rely on the forward incremental forever backup without the need of an active or synthetic backup? thank you very much in advance.
Max
Italy
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Periodic active fulls were recommended primarily to address long incremental chains and due to disk space considerations. Both issues are addressed by the new incremental forever mode. If you follow the 3-2-1 rule and test recoverability of your backups, you're good to go without periodic fulls.