Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
angazi
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Manfred

FreeBSD OpenBSD Solaris Illumos for hardened repository / immutable storage - Feature request

Post by angazi »

Hi,

I realise this is currently *not possible and not supported*, so here's my vote for Veeam support for FreeBSD OpenBSD or Solaris Illumos for hardened repository / Immutable storage.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the currently supported Linux distros and would prefer using the above. Now of course I can create a data store accessible via NFS/SMB and create my own immutability approach but it would be nice if I could use the native Veeam transport method which requires installation on FreeBSD OpenBSD or Solaris Illumos if I prefer them over Linux as the base OS for this repo.

I have tried on FreeBSD 13 and while it doesnt work (as its not supported and its not Linux this isnt a surprise but I tried anyway) but it seems like it might not be a major stretch to get it working on Veeam's part by making the scripts Veeam runs and the data mover service Linux Unix install generic. e.g. If I pkg add sudo bash ssh to BSD, create a user in the wheel group and then try add it as a Linux server to B&R the SSH appears to authenticate and elevate OK but then the script cant identify the server as x64 (although it is) so wont even try install the data mover and fails to identify the hardware but it does save the server in B&R with a warning.

If I then try add a Veeam repo using the above server, then if I go "populate" you get hit with error - failed to validate command 'sh -c 'LANG=en_US;df''. And if I test that cmd on the CLI it fails but if I just remove all the ' ' from the cmd as there arent spaces anyway and go with sh -c LANG=en_US;df the cmd works on the CLI so its just the Veeam script syntax that I cant edit but otherwise this part does appear to be compatible. After that though things go uphill fast so I cannot create a repository even if I manually define the path to the ZFS folder I wish to store in - I get wrong child node error.

Now obviously I cannot expect the above to work, but I provided my install adventure so hopefully somebody at Veeam can have a look and estimate how much effort is involved in getting this feature request onto a roadmap one day.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: FreeBSD OpenBSD Solaris Illumos for hardened repository / immutable storage - Feature request

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Correct, the datamover only runs on Linux (and Windows).
I'm not entirely comfortable with the currently supported Linux distros and would prefer using the above
What exactly and why? I mean, we support many distributions.

We get many complaints that setting up Linux is too complicated. Supporting FreeBSD, OpenBSD or even Solaris would be even more complicated for most customers (plus it would slow us down because we had to test all these operating systems).

Best regards,
Hannes