Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SCIS007
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: SCIS007

Full backup file maintenance, how it work ?

Post by SCIS007 »

Hello everyone,
please can someone explain to me how this option works 'Defragment and compact full backup file',
really in detail with concrete use cases.
I've read the Veeam docs but I can't quite understand yet

thanks in advance !!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Full backup file maintenance, how it work ?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Which part of https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... _file.html is unclear?

Defragment & compact full re-creates the backup file and removes free spaces & re-orders data (aka defragments).

Best regards,
Hannes
SCIS007
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: SCIS007

Post by SCIS007 »

Hi HannesK,
thanks for your feedback,
so if I have 3 restore points as a retention policy and I do incremental forever forward with the defragment option checked to run once a week, for example on Saturdays, how does Veeam backup manage all of this ?, the duration conservation of restore points above all, basically the management of the repository space

NB: I have large machines and the merge takes a long time to do without the defragment option checked.

THANKS !
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I just use other words than the user guide, maybe that helps: imagine you have a list of 1000 numbers in random order and with tons of zeros in it. The software removes all zeros and orders the numbers. the ordering is done in parallel in a new list and after the new list is created, the old list is deleted.

If merges take long, then it's usually because of the wrong file system. XFS and REFS are the recommendation. Everything else is not recommended since many years. https://www.veeam.com/blog/advanced-ref ... suite.html

Best regards,
hannes