Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
caustic386
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Bumpas

Full backup poll

Post by caustic386 »

How often is everyone running full backups via WAN? In our environment, this takes 10 days due to 10Mb uplink. It's better to run a local backup (7 hours) and drive it over, but, how often should this be done?

Has anyone gone extended periods of time (3 months+) with only incremental (reverse or regular)? What was the longest period of time, and were your restores OK?

I'm used to doing nightly fulls via BackupExec, but that program is a bear and Veeam is much better. I just can't put myself at ease, yet, about not having full backups on a regular basis. Unfortunately, this is mostly due to the unreliable nature of tape - but, old habits die hard!
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Re: Full backup poll

Post by Cokovic »

Running reversed incrementals for over a year now and works like a charm. Never had any problems with restores.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

With reverse incremental you have full backups at the end in the latest retention point, so there is no worry about long chains that can break at some points.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
caustic386
Enthusiast

Post by caustic386 »

Thanks for the feedback! I suppose that, with LAN replicas, everything should be fine. It's certainly an adjustment!
jwaynejones
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jeremy Jones

Post by jwaynejones » 1 person likes this post

I have several reverse incremental jobs that will be two years old on June 22nd, and I can do FLR or whole VM recovery from them without issue. Other than the initial full backup, they have never taken a full backup since they were created (unless it was required by one of the upgrades, but I don't remember that hapening), and that includes backing up the Veeam database, upgrading the server to Windows 2008 R2, and re-importing the DB.
caustic386
Enthusiast

Post by caustic386 »

2 years - impressive! That's what I was hoping to hear!