Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
madomer
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Domer

Get Veeam B&R configuration

Post by madomer »

We are currently running Veeam B&R ver. 9.5 u4 and are looking to upgrade to ver. 11. Before we upgrade, we would like to get an configuration output of the Veeam environment, i.e., Backup Jobs, Backup Copy jobs, Restore points and Schedule for each of those jobs. Is there a way to get an export of Veeam B&R configuration to get all that type of information in a readable format?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Get Veeam B&R configuration

Post by wishr »

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Veeam R&D forums!

What are you planning to do with this information?
Also, are you running 9.5 U4b or just flat U4?

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Yes, you can use Veeam One Reports:

Example for Jobs:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/r ... ml?ver=110

Why do you need that output?
If you do a configuration backup before the update, you will have a way back if you have an upgrade issue.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
madomer
Novice

Post by madomer »

Thanks for the reply and information provided. We're currently running 9.5 U4 (9.5.4.2866). I was mostly looking to review the settings of Veeam Backup & Replication jobs to document their settings and to ensure that the jobs settings are consistent. I was hoping there was a way to do this without having to visit each job individually
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

The only job settings which will change are Backup Copy Jobs if you have gfs enabled. They change from forever incremental to forward incremental.

And if you have quarterly archive fulls configured, the setting will be converted to monthly fulls, because quarterly is discontinued. It should be in the whats new document for V11.
https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_11_0 ... new_wn.pdf

All other settings should stay the same.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hey Mark,

Just my small input, I think maybe you need to be more specific on what you actually want to check.

This is trivial with powershell and I think it's the right tool for what you're trying to do - even with Veeam One which Fabian mentioned, you need to manually compare it (but you can export the reports as CSV and then import then into Excel and write a simple value comparison formula and use flash-fill to apply it to everything), but I think it's more important just to be clear which elements you're actually concerned about.

I've done literally thousands of updates for clients and I think maybe once many many years ago we hit an issue where the default changed.

"Any change" is difficult because it's information overload, and a lot of elements you probably don't care about might have had cosmetic changes, but not substantial changes.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hello,

The build number 9.5.4.2866 is 9.5 U4b, not flat U4, which means the configuration backup created in this version is compatible with v11, meaning in the case of issues you may restore your data to a fresh v11 server.

Speaking about job configuration tracking, you may use the Job Configuration Dump report of Veeam ONE, as Fabian suggested above. It was specifically designed for such use-cases and supports all the job configuration options out of the box.

Thanks
madomer
Novice

Post by madomer » 1 person likes this post

Thanks to all for your valuable input, it was most helpful. I will use this information as we progress with our v11 upgrade. The primary inquiry I was asking for is that our Veeam configuration and backup jobs were setup by the previous administrator. I'm new on the job and wanted to get the "lay of the land" without having to go to each backup job to get the configuration setup. Sounds like getting Veeam ONE established will provide the solution I'm looking for.