Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Kop01
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Florent Kop

GFS and backup imports

Post by Kop01 »

Dear All,

I have a Backup Job running on a daily basis with the incremental backup method. An Active Full backup is scheduled every week on Sunday3
I keep 360 Restore points on disk and store it on a Repository A.
Due to a lack of space on Repo A I need to reduce this number of restore points.

Before that, I m trying to import existing backups into a newly GFS Backup Copy Job but I m stuck.
I know how to setup a GFS from scratch. But I didn't find a way to import the backups into that GFS job.

I've tried to :
1/ Copy the data from Repository A to Repository B and check the box "Import existing backups automatically"
2/ Copy the data from Repository A to Repository B and use the feature "Map backup" when creating the GFS Backup => I have an error Unable to map backup: Backup Copy supports forward incremental backup chains only

I just want to let the GFS choose which backup needs to be deleted into his repository.
My GFS backup is W:4 Q:0 M:12 Y:3 and 2 retention points to keep

NB1 : I m talking about one backup job to simplify but I have more than 20 Backup Job and 20 GFS Backup Copy Job to create (and keep data)
NB2 : Yes I m running classic incremental and not reverse
NB3 : I use the same device for Repo A and Repo B but on different folder (only workaround to fake Veeam limitation)

Thanks a lot

Florent
Kop01
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Florent Kop

Re: GFS and backup imports

Post by Kop01 »

Dear All,

I worked with the support team, CaseId 02524007, but we were unable to include/import the retention points from a Backup Job to a Backup Copy Job (GFS).
The only way to keep the old restore points was to copy the folder to another repository and import them in Veeam. They appear as "Disk Imported".

It's not what we wanted to do but due to a limitation of the product, this is the recommended workaround from the support team.

I hope R&D will work on this feature one day.

Regards

Florent
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: GFS and backup imports

Post by foggy »

Hi Florent, there's no way to perform what you're after. Backup copy job is able to create GFS restore points according to the specified schedule, but it is not able to "transform" the existing backup chain from the regular backup job into the chain with GFS restore points.