Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
r3zon8
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: hoffman gonzalez

GFS Backup Copy Job to offsite

Post by r3zon8 »

What Im hoping to achieve is a setup where i can hold 30-40 restore points on premise and keep my GFS vbk's in a remote providers storage. Either Im not fully understanding how backup copy jobs work or im missing something but either way i havent been able to put this together.

this has been my approaches to achieve this:

-Backup job runs each night(forward inc, 30 restore points, friday synthetic fulls) to a local/LAN windows file server on v:/
-AWS storage gateway presents multiple volumes through iscsi to same windows files server which windows mounts volume as S:/
- Backup copy job runs daily(set to 2 restore points, lowest i could set)
notes: what im seeing is that each night a new incremental RP is created from the normal backup job and that new vib hits the V: volume, the backup copy job begins combining the existing vbk+vib on the S:/ volume into 1 updated vbk, then copying over the new vib that just happened. so far this is normal.. except that the s:/ volume is actually the volume backed by the AWS SG which means it takes a really really long time for that process to happen(combining vbk+vib). the solution seems to make the backup copy job ONLY care about moving over new vbk's. specifically my friday vbks which would be marked as my weeklys and held for the configured GFS retention time.

is my approach wrong? or am i not understanding veeam backup copy jobs correctly?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: GFS Backup Copy Job to offsite

Post by foggy »

Most likely, the latter. Backup copy job doesn't copy backup files but rather synthetically creates required restore points in target location from VM data stored in source backup repository. I recommend reviewing the corresponding user guide section first to get better understanding of the backup copy process and retention. Feel free to ask any question though, if the description given there is not sufficient. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: GFS Backup Copy Job to offsite

Post by veremin »

The solution seems to make the backup copy job ONLY care about moving over new vbk's. specifically my friday vbks which would be marked as my weeklys and held for the configured GFS retention time.
If you want to copy/create weekly-worth restore point at the target location, using backup copy job, then, you should set "Copy every" interval to 7 days. Then, you can configure GFS retention scheme in accordance with your needs (monthly, quarterly, yearly).

Thanks.