GFS Clarification for deleted VMs

Post by mzamesnik »

Suppose the following scenario:

A VM is backed up daily as part of a Backup Job
A Backup Copy job copies that VM backup to a local dedupe appliance
Restore Points to keep is set to 7
GFS is set to keep 8 weekly, 12 monthly, 99 yearly
In advanced settings, Remove deleted VMs data is UNCHECKED

If this VM is deleted in the middle of the year (let's say June 1), how will it be kept for archive purposes? Will the most recent GFS monthly also become the yearly? Or will the June Monthly be deleted in 12 months? My concern is for capturing and keeping a final backup of the data before decommissioning, and wondering if this needs to be done outside of the backup process?

The idea is that we need to keep the current state of the VM for archive for at least 10 years. If the June 1 monthly will only be kept for 12 months, and the last yearly is on or around January 1, we would lose all of the data between Jan 1 and June 1 after 12 months.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: GFS Clarification for deleted VMs

Post by veremin »

And how your GFS schedule is configured in this example (backup copy job -> target -> schedule...)? Thanks!
mzamesnik
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Zamesnik

Post by mzamesnik »

I am not sure if the original post was not clear, or if I am not understanding your question, but the settings I mention are for the Backup Copy job. GFS is set to 8 weekly, 12 monthly, 99 yearly. The schedule is the "First Sunday of [month / year]"
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

To achieve what you're after (have the deleted VM data as of its latest backed up state get into yearly restore point), you need to disable deleted VMs retention and enable per-VM backup chains.