GFS Retention Policy

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

[MERGED] backup copy job not running

Veeam Logoby workict » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:16 am

Goodmorning,

I have made a daily backup job with veeam which backup al my vmware servers.
This job is making a synthetic full backup on saturday and a incremental backup on sunday till friday.
With 14 restore point to keep.
And this job is working perfect on the scheduled time every day 22:00 hour.

But now I want to setup a backup copy job which will make a monthly and yearly backup and store it.
I created a backup copy job and seletected the copy every 1 day timer at 01:00 hour.
I selected by objects to process the daily backup job.
And for backup repository i selected a different repository then the daily backup.
I set the option restore points to keep to 2, and selected the option keep the following restore points>
Monthly backup 12 en yearly backup 12 (I want 12 monthly backups and yearly backup to be saved).

I set the timer on the monthly job for the first day of the month and the year job on 1ste of January.
And when I create this job I see the job status is Idle with next run status continuous.

But on the first of this month there was no copy job created....
Yesterday I selected the second day of the month and hoping that tonight it would copy but still nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? And what do I need to change so that the backup copy jobs will run according the scheduled days?
workict
Novice

Liked: never

Re: backup copy job not running

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:12 am

Hi,

Were any restore points copied by backup copy job at all? If so then please wait until tomorrow because GFS restore point will be created at the moment when your copy-job full (which contains the state of VM as of December 1st) is to be merged with copy-job increment (which contains December 2nd).

If no restore points are present at target side then please setup you backup copy job to start daily at 22:05 (interval of 24 hours).

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 236 times

Re: GFS Retention Policy

Veeam Logoby workict » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:13 pm

The backup copy job GFS retention is still confusing me and makes no sense to me because my job is not running on the moment I selected.
Like I said the post here above I have a daily scheduled job and from that job I created a backup copy job to save the backup in a different backup repository.

Now I make these settings on my backup copy job:
Copy every: 1 day starting at 22:15
Objects to process: DailyVM backup - backup job
Restore points to keep: 2
Weekly backup: 13 (saturday 01:00)
Monthly backup: 12 (first saturday of the month)
yearly backup: 12 (1 day of january)

But when I look at restore point available from the copy job I now see a full backup from 6 december and a incremental backup from 8 december.
But 6 december was a sunday and 8 december was a tuesday.
And I did not select those days to make a copy of a backup.

What am I doing wrong with the backup copy job that it's not running on the days I select ?
workict
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:25 pm

I recommend to review the corresponding user guide section to get a better idea of how backup copy job retention works. Restore points you see in your repository are the ones comprising the regular backup copy job chain, the first full and subsequent increment (since you've configured it to copy on a daily basis and selected 2 restore points to keep). The first weekly restore point will be created when the regular full backup will reach the next Saturday.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1057 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby workict » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:00 am

I read the user guide section, the only problem is that I don't get the logic of the options you can select.
In the user guide section there is no example on how to setup the backup copy job to get a example schedule.
That's why I came to this forum because I setup thing in the backup copy job that looks logic to me but the job doesn't run like I would.

I just don't understand what the Copy every, Restore points to keep options does for the backup copy job.
And when I setup a time to keep the following restore points to run for a weekly backup that on that time nothing happens.

If you see the example schedule on the link you gave, Weekly backups on sunday, Monthly backup on the last saturday and the rest of the month a regular backup.
Where can I see in the user guide how you need to setup the jobs in order to get such a backup schedule?
workict
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:35 am

You can try this Restore Point Simulator to check number and size of restore points. Just choose Backup Copy Job GFS from the 1st drop-down list.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 371 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:16 am

I just don't understand what the Copy every

This setting defines copy interval.

Restore points to keep options does for the backup copy job

How many restore points should be preserved for simple retention.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 934 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:00 pm

workict wrote:And when I setup a time to keep the following restore points to run for a weekly backup that on that time nothing happens.

GFS restore points are created when the regular chain retention is reached and the full backup reaches the specified day (this happens not exactly on the day you specify for GFS restore point, but when the full reaches that day).
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] question about GFS

Veeam Logoby neilmacneil » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:07 pm

Hello again,

I have a backup copy job that is being saved to DataDomain with boost enabled. The retention is 31 and I have GFS enabled with 2 monthly's set for every first of the month. The main backup job that it is copying from is also set to 31 point retention and is fairly new so it currently only has 18 backups saved. I was expecting to see a new full restore point on the datadomain for February 1st (monday) but I do not. Is there something I am missing?

-Neil
neilmacneil
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Neil MacNeil

Backup Copy Job GFS retention

Veeam Logoby SpiderPig » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:08 am

Hi,

Im having some problems understanding how this actually works. My GFS goals (for this test) is to keep a full restore point for two weeks. I want the backup made on sundays to be stored. When i check my restore points form backup copy jobs i get one friday and two tuesday. I dont get it. What am i doing wrong here?

This is my settings:

Restore: (full on tuesdays

SpiderPig
Influencer

Liked: 4 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:20 am

You need to wait until the number of restore points in the regular chain reaches 7 (full + 6 increments) and then GFS restore point will be offloaded when the full backup of the regular chain reaches the specified day (Sunday).
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tdewin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:25 am

Could it be that you started the job on a Tuesday (edit or resync)? It says your sync interval every 7 days instead of the default daily interval.
tdewin
Veeam Software

Liked: 351 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Veeam Logoby SpiderPig » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:35 pm

tdewin wrote:Could it be that you started the job on a Tuesday (edit or resync)? It says your sync interval every 7 days instead of the default daily interval.

Yes, this could be it. If this is the case, are my full backups from sunday data and the vbk file created tuesday or ist it tuesday data and the vbk file created tuesday?
Can i "force" the copy job to do my biddings with the schedule or should i edit the job next sunday?
SpiderPig
Influencer

Liked: 4 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:19 pm

Currently your full backups contain data as of Tuesdays. If you want the backup file to be created exactly on Sundays, then yes, you need to either edit the job on that day or configure backup window to prevent backup copy from running until Sunday. How your source backup jobs are configured?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby SpiderPig » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:29 pm

My source backup is configured as this:

Retention policy: 7 days on disk,
Backupmode: Incremental with synthetic full on saturday
Runs daily at 23:59
SpiderPig
Influencer