GFS Retention Policy

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

[MERGED] GFS retention policy

Veeam Logoby vdb421 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:18 am

Hello,

We are currently using Veeam to backup 10 VMs to a first NAS with an active full on the week-end and forward incrementals on the week, with a retention of 14 days.

These backups are sent to a second NAS for yearly archival purpose with a backup copy job.

This job was initially set with these settings:

Restore points to keep - 365
Weekly backup - 4
Monthly backup - 4
Quarterly backup - 4
Yearly backup - 1

There are actually 340 points restore points available but only 1 full and incrementals points in the explorer.

Ideally, we want to keep backups for a year, with the 4 last weeks full backups, and monthly / quartlerly backups for the rest.

These settings are corrects?

Second, i want to reduce the restore points number to create these points before 1 complete year of backup.
How many restore points must be configured with these settings?

Thanks !
vdb421
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin V

Re: GFS retention policy

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:10 am

Kevin, GFS restore points will start to be created once the job reaches the specified regular retention (365 restore points).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] GFS - how do I configure

Veeam Logoby michaelp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Good morning,

I am trying to get the GG-GFS (GreatGrandfather - Grandfather - Father - Son ) set up but i have no idea where to tell it to do so. I saw some policies on the backup copy job but i would like to do this on the regular backup jobs. Please assist as we are going to be running some restore testing soon and dont want to be missing too many cycles of the GG-GFS.

Thanks
Michael

PS my point of reference was: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... y_gfs.html
michaelp
Novice

Full Name: Michael Persaud

Re: GFS Retention Policy

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Hello Michael,
Indeed GFS retention works with backup copy jobs only since it`s a historical retention for secondary job. Could you explain why you need GFS on the primary backup?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby doggatas » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:01 am

Hi All,

I think I have enough understanding of the GFS policy and most efficient way achieving our backup requirements. However, it's also possible I have no idea; hence this post.

Firstly, our backup requirements are as follows:

• Ability to restore from any of the previous 31 days (1 Full Backup + 30 increments)
  • Ability to restore from the last day of the month from the previous 12 months (12 full backups)
  • Ability to restore from the last day of the year from the previous 7 years (7 full backups)

To achieve this efficiently:

• Regular forward incremental backup job with 1 restore point (full backup on a Saturday or Sunday) targeting "Weekly Repository" (maximum of 7 restore points 1 VBK + 6 Incs)
  • And a Backup Copy job as outlined below, focusing on the Job and Target setting pages

Backup Copy job
Job: Copy every one day
Target:
    Backup Reposity: "GFS Repository"
    Restore Points to Keep: 31
    Keep the following restore points for archival purposes: Ticked
    Weekly: 0
    Monthly: 12
    Quarterly: 0
    Yearly: 7

Any input/advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

David
doggatas
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David O

Veeam Logoby doggatas » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:29 am

Unable to edit the post above.

I realise there might be 2 full backups and 60 increments, given the 31 restore points on the backup copy job(does it work that way to for the backup copy jobs?). I think it might be better to have 31 restore points on the backup job with a weekly full and rollback option ticked. The backup folder will have; 1 vbk, 6 vibs and 24 vrbs.

Now on the backup copy job, can I set the restore points to keep at 2?
Does this mean there will be always synthesise on the copy job after the first two runs?
What gets copied to the target repository of the copy job when the weekly job runs?
Will Veeam use whatever is there to create the full backup for the monthly or yearly on that given day?

I will be testing this on a smaller scale before final configurations, but it takes time as I have to wait for the days to tick over.
doggatas
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Both approaches are viable. Just keep in mind that setting job retention to just a single restore point (regular job in the first approach) is not recommended, as you might find yourself without any valid restore point at all.

Now the questions:

doggatas wrote:I realise there might be 2 full backups and 60 increments, given the 31 restore points on the backup copy job(does it work that way to for the backup copy jobs?).

Unless the "Read from source..." check box is selected, backup copy job will have the exact specified number of restore points in the chain.

doggatas wrote:Now on the backup copy job, can I set the restore points to keep at 2?

Yes.

doggatas wrote:Does this mean there will be always synthesise on the copy job after the first two runs?

Yes.

doggatas wrote:What gets copied to the target repository of the copy job when the weekly job runs?
Will Veeam use whatever is there to create the full backup for the monthly or yearly on that given day?

Please review the corresponding user guide section for explanation on how GFS fulls are created.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby doggatas » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:35 pm 1 person likes this post

Appreciate the reply.

Going to go with the 31 restore points on a "Monthly" 31-day repo and the 2 restore points on the "GFS" repo.

It's such a shame 9.5 is not generally available as this is for a new environment, which is almost ready for live workloads. With all the synthesis going on, the 9.5/2016-ReFS would have been ideal. Not to worry, I have my Server 2016 servers ready to go and it shouldn't be too much work to migrate the backup jobs over.

Regards,
David

p.s. I LOVE VEEAM!
doggatas
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:28 am

David,
Going to go with the 31 restore points on a "Monthly" 31-day repo and the 2 restore points on the "GFS" repo.

That confused me a bit. To meet your initial goal you need to set Restore points to keep = 31, Monthly backup = 12, Yearly backup = 7.

By the way, v9.5 is already around the corner.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby doggatas » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 am

Shestakov wrote:That confused me a bit. To meet your initial goal you need to set Restore points to keep = 31, Monthly backup = 12, Yearly backup = 7.

foggy wrote:Both approaches are viable. Just keep in mind that setting job retention to just a single restore point (regular job in the first approach) is not recommended, as you might find yourself without any valid restore point at all.

Sorry about that, I'll try to explain.

Based on the advice from foggy (thanks BTW) rather than have the 31 Restore Points (as I said I might do in my first post on the topic) on the Backup Copy job, I will have the 31 Restore points on the actual Backup Job, which will reside on a Repository for the month worth of restore points (the 31).

I will then configure the Backup Copy job to only hold 2 Restore points, but using GFS i'll set it to have 12 Monthly restore points and 7 Yearly restore points; set to generate on the Last day of the month and Last day of December. So, at the end of the first 12 months (my calculations and for the sake of theory, we started the schedule in Janurary), the Repository holding the Backup Copy job will have 1 Full backup and a VIB (for the 2 restore points) and an additional 12 Full backup files. The last full backup file being tagged as an end of month and the first yearly.

Regards,
David
doggatas
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:32 am

Understood. The plan should work fine!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby adr67 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi,

I've set up backup copy job with GFS retention, with everyday copy start at 0 am :

Restore points to keep - 2
Weekly backup - 0 saturday at 1 am
Monthly backup - 12 first saturday of the month
Quarterly backup - 0 first saturday of the quarter
Yearly backup - 5 first saturday of the year

I already have the 2 regulars backup copy points (1 vbk and 1 vib) on the repository, but GFS (monthly and yearly) never start.
What wrong with my config ?
Thanks
adr67
Novice

Full Name: fullname

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:32 am

Wait till the last restore point (.vbk) reaches Saturday, then, first weekly point will be created. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 920 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby forumit » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:42 am

Hi,

What are the correct GFS settings for the below retention?

-Daily Cycle with 7 days retention
-Weekly cycle with 4 weeks retention
-Monthly cycle with 12 months retention
-Yearly cycle with 7 yrs retention

So far the Backup Copy Job is configured as:

Restore points to keep: 14
Weekly: 4 (Sunday 10:00 PM)
Monthly: 12 (First Monday of each month)
Quarterly: 1 (First Wednesday of each quarter)
Yearly: 7 (First Friday of each year)

Thanks much appreciated.
forumit
Novice

Full Name: forumit

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:16 am

Hi,
You just need to set the retention you want to achieve, i.e.
Restore points to keep: 7
Weekly: 4
Monthly: 12
Yearly: 7
As for the backup day, if you set the same day for weekly/monthly/yearly, the backups will not be duplicated, but same file is to be marked as Weekly and monthly, so you save the repository space.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication