GFS Retention Policy

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

GFS Retention Policy

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Hello everyone.

I´m new with veeam, and i want to make a backup plan, and i´m still trying to undestand backup copy jobs and GFS retention
I have my backup job running every night, keeping 30 restore points.
My backup copy job runs also every night, but what i don´t understan is how GFS retention policy works.

Let´s say that i want a weekly copy for each week, and a monthly for each month, and a yearly for each year.

I start my backup copy job on monday and keep 6 restore points. On Sunday backup copy creates the weekly backup, and then it deletes the previous backup files to start a new chain?

Help please!!

Thanks a lot
aquegles
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Alejandro Quegles

Re: GFS Retention Policy

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:28 am

Hello Alejandro and welcome to the forum!

GFS feature is fully described in the User Guide. Please take a look.
GFS is a tiered retention policy scheme which uses a number of cycles to maintain backups at different tiers, in your case Regular, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly.
aquegles wrote:...On Sunday backup copy creates the weekly backup, and then it deletes the previous backup files to start a new chain?

You just go to target section in backup copy job settings, set keep the following restore points for archival process on and pick weekly backup=1, monthly backup =1, quarterly=0, yearly=1. Also, by clicking schedule.. you can specify days.
You will not loose any restore points using GFS.

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 361 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:37 am

aquegles wrote:I start my backup copy job on monday and keep 6 restore points. On Sunday backup copy creates the weekly backup, and then it deletes the previous backup files to start a new chain?

GFS restore points are created aside the main backup copy job chain and have separate retention, so they do not affect existing regular restore points in any way.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1052 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello everyone and thanks for replying.

I have a few doubts : When i create the backup copy job, it asks me "Restore points to keep". These restore points are the restore points the backup copy job will keep? or are the restore points i want to keep from my original backup job?

nshestakov wrote:You just go to target section in backup copy job settings, set keep the following restore points for archival process on and pick weekly backup=1, monthly backup =1, quarterly=0, yearly=1. Also, by clicking schedule.. you can specify days.
You will not loose any restore points using GFS.

Whit this configuration, at the end of the month, i will have 4 weekly backups, and one monthly backup? and at the end of the year, i will have 12 monthly backups and 1 yearly backup?

I need to keep a year of historical backup.

Thanks a lot!
aquegles
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:52 pm

aquegles wrote:I have a few doubts : When i create the backup copy job, it asks me "Restore points to keep". These restore points are the restore points the backup copy job will keep? or are the restore points i want to keep from my original backup job?

There are two different retention schemes in case of backup copy job: simple and GFS. The former is related to restore points created by backup copy job in accordance with sync interval. The GFS applies to restore points created for long term archival purposes.

Whit this configuration, at the end of the month, i will have 4 weekly backups, and one monthly backup?

Not at the end of the month, but at the time when the oldest restore point (.vbk) reaches a day specified for GFS restore point creation.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 920 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:40 pm

aquegles wrote:Whit this configuration, at the end of the month, i will have 4 weekly backups, and one monthly backup? and at the end of the year, i will have 12 monthly backups and 1 yearly backup?

No, with the configuration we discussed above: weekly backup=1, monthly backup =1, quarterly=0, yearly=1 you will have just 1 restore point of weekly jobs and 1 of the monthly jobs.
So if you want to keep backups of all weeks of the year, you need to set weekly backup=52, for all months, monthly backup=12 etc.

You can find more info here. Thanks
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:17 pm

What i need is to keep 1 monthly backup for each month of the year, and 1 yearly backup per year.

For this purpose, is this configuration correct ? :

Weekly backup = 0
Monthly backup = 12
Quarterly backup = 0
Yearly Backup = 1

Thanks!
aquegles
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:07 pm

Considering you need to keep backups just for the last year, yes. If you need to keep several years, you need to specify the number of yearly backups correspondingly.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:29 pm

One last question : with this configuration :

aquegles wrote:
Weekly backup = 0
Monthly backup = 12
Quarterly backup = 0
Yearly Backup = 1

Thanks!

How does veeam makes the daily backups, and how does eliminates the restore points? I configure that in "Restore points to keep?

Thanks!
aquegles
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:51 pm

Yes, daily restore points are handled according to the "Restore points to keep" setting.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Thank you very much everyone for the help!

Now, i promise, last quiestion!

Which ports do i have to open between my veeam server and the remote server (the remote repository) to transport the data?

Thanks again
aquegles
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:44 pm

You can find all the required ports in the corresponding user guide section. And feel free to ask any further questions.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Thank you very much.

I have another doubt. I have my regular backups with 30 restore points. If i make a backup copy jpb in order to keep all of this RPs, it will make a full backup of all of this 30 restore points, and the it will star doing the incrementals?

Thanks!
aquegles
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:32 pm

Alejandro,

If you start backup copy job of a backup job with 30 restore points, Veeam B&R will synthetically create the first full restore point in target location from VM data stored in source backup repository for a first backup copy job run and then continue doing incrementals in accordance to the retention policy. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Friends, i´m kinda lost here...

I performed a backup cop job today, and when it finished and i try to make a flr, i do not see all my 30 restore points, i only see the one from today.

So, backup copy job did not backup all the restore points in my regular backup, but only the restore point from today.

Is this ok? or i´m doing somethin wrong?

What i need is to back up all my restore points in another location. I have to copy/paste the files?

Thanks again
aquegles
Enthusiast

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication