Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mralc
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Alister Christman

GFS, Users Deleting files inside a VM and retention periods

Post by mralc »

I just want to make sure I fully understand how GFS on a copy job to a second repository and retention periods work, if we have a 5 Year GFS retention period. We have set this to keep 4 weekly, 12 monthly, 5 yearly backups. If I understand correctly a full “archive” backup VBK file is created on the day configured in the job for achieve purpose. If someone create a “file” on VM on the 2nd week and this will be backup by the primary job and then copy to the second repository. The “file” which was created early will appear in the next full weekly ”archive” backup VBK file. That weekly ”archive” VBK backup file will be kept for 4 weeks as define by the retention period. The users then delete the file the following week after the full weekly ”archive” backup VBK file has been created. At the end of month comes and Veeam creates the monthly full ”archive” backup file from the last full backup copy job. If I understand correctly that this file will not have a copy the delete file. So if someone come back six month later and they want that file back, we can’t as it none of any of the monthly full ”archive” backups VBK files will have the deleted file in. Is this correct or am I missing something?
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

Re: GFS, Users Deleting files inside a VM and retention peri

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

What you are saying is correct and logical;
If someone creates and deletes a files within a narrower window than your backup and retention granularity then it won't be present on retained media.