Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ted

Good companion for backup to tape

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

We are currently replacing our current backup solution with Veeam backup & replicator. We still need to backup our Veeam backup data tape. I did some research for a good companion for backup to tape and a lot of people use Backup Exec along with Veeam. However, Backup Exec can quiet expensive for the simple function of tape backup it's going to provide. I am curious what other people are using for backing up their veeam data to tape.

We have multiple Veeam servers which share a tape library through SAN. The backup to tape solution on all Veeam servers needs to work with the shared tape library.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Good companion for backup to tape

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ted,

Yes, Backup Exec seems to be one of the most popular tools among all tape solutions. If you take a look at our whitepapers available, you'll see that you have a large list to choose from:

Code: Select all

Integrating Veeam Backup and CA Arcserve 12.x
Integrating Veeam Backup and EMC Networker 7.x
Integrating Veeam Backup and Symantec NetBackup 6.x
Integrating Veeam Backup and Symantec Backup Exec 12
Integrating Veeam Backup and Tivoli TSM 6.x
Integrating Veeam Backup and HP Data Protector 6.x
Veeam Backup & Replication 5.x - Integrating with Symantec NetBackup 7.x
On top of that, I've seen some examples of using ntbackup.exe utility from Microsoft (available in Win2003), might be another way to go with. Hope this helps.
slp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steen Lund-Pedersen

Re: Good companion for backup to tape

Post by slp »

Hello Ted,

I was through the same condierations as you are now.

I chosed a product called "BackupAssist" which is much cheaper than Symantec Backup Exec (base priced at ~200€), but still does whats nessary for us.

http://www.backupassist.com/index.html

Daily we keep our backups on disk for 8-14 days, but once a week we store a complete set of backups on tape and put them outside our company (we are running with 2 datacenters with each their SAN)