Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Guest File restore : Restore to another Location ?

Post by Gostev »

@Egor Yakovlev do you have any idea what could cause the "Restore to..." option not to appear in the FLR menu? As we did add this in V12, I even went and double checked the What's New document just in case :)
bct44
Veeam Software
Liked: 29 times

Post by bct44 »

It's available for FLR linux only, i had the used case for windows hosts in the past. I asked the Feature request to the support. My assumption that it was forgotten for windows or a desire for security, even if it's available on linux.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You are only partly right there :) quoting the V12 What's New document:
Restore directly to another machine — The ability to select a different target machine to restore files to — previously available for Linux file-level recovery only — is now available for Windows machines as well
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Correct, not all platforms are supported(f.e. NAS or RHV backup should not have this option). However, I see both Windows VM and Linux VM on VMware should have this option.
Which backup you are restoring from?
bct44
Veeam Software

Post by bct44 »

Indeed, i took took quick a shortcut, sorry guys. I checked on V12.1 CP1.
- VM windows OK
- Agent windows KO, restore to... not available
- Agent linux OK
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

@Dima P. totally unexpected to see this option not displaying for agent-based Windows machine backup, when the VBK content is completely identical to the one produced by backing up a Windows VM using host-based job? Could you please look what's up with that.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

the VBK content is completely identical to the one produced by backing up a Windows VM using host-based job? Could you please look what's up with that.
Looks like the destination available for 'Restore to' functionality is built around VM backup infrastructure, you cannot select a machine or IP address, only a VM from current VM infrastructure.
- Agent windows KO, restore to... not available
There is an easy workaround. Go for Copy to, browse for location and either select the shared folder path as a target for restore or use desired machine under Network surrounding of the machine where you are performing the file level recovery.
not all platforms are supported i.e. NAS
For NAS backup it's possible to select any server added as workload to B&R console as a destination via 'Copy to...' option.
bct44
Veeam Software

Post by bct44 »

Hello Dima,
Thank you for your answer, i don't understand why "restore to" is available and works for Linux agent (physical host)? Could you please tell me more about the difference from your explanation? Is it maybe more related from the recovery process method or wizard?

Well, thank you for the workaround i was aware about it but you need to add the target host to workload on the VBR console. Network surrounding of the machine don't work when running in network filtered env or when OS windows is hardened. Could we expect the functionnality available in future release?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for your answer, i don't understand why "restore to" is available and works for Linux agent (physical host)? Could you please tell me more about the difference from your explanation? Is it maybe more related from the recovery process method or wizard?
To cut the long story shot the new recovery to destination options are VM specific thus is visible only for VM workload type. For Linux machines it was historically available even before this functionality has been added to the product.
Could we expect the functionnality available in future release?
Absolutely, already noted as improvement request for the next major release.