Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
duncanwarrender
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Duncan Warrender

Guest Processing skipped (check vmware tools)

Post by duncanwarrender »

When I back up my Asterisk server I get this error "Guest Processing Skipped (check vmware tools status). The VM is installed straight from the Asterisk ISO so there's no way to get onto the home desktop and its all command line. Does anybody know how to fix this error (I'm assuming its install VMware tools?) and does anybody know how to get vmware tools installed on this asterisk box? Thanks for your help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Guest Processing skipped (check vmware tools)

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Duncan,

It might be a stupid question, but have you tried initiating the install process via vSphere Client by right-clicking on the Asterisk VM?

Thanks!
duncanwarrender
Novice

Hi,

I didn't even think of that,thanks. I right clicked on the VM and selected Install VM ware tools and under "Recent Tasks" it says "Initated VMware Tools Installed Mount" and hasn't done anything else for a few minutes now. When I right click on the VM it says "End VMware tools install Now" so I assume its doing something but theres nothing on the Asterisk screen or under recent tasks (except what i mentioed above).

Cheers!
duncanwarrender
Novice

Yeah its stuck on "end VMware tools Install", I'm assuming it needs some user interaction, but there's desktop GUI for Asterisk!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Did you select Automatic VMware tools installation option or manual? I have two options, and the first one fully installs VMware Tools. I have just searched through VMware KB articles and they suggest to do the following to complete the installation:
To end the VMware Tools install, click VM in the virtual machine menu, then click Guest > End VMware Tools Install.
Do you have this option in the VM menu?
duncanwarrender
Novice

I was able to end the VMWare tools install. I read up about mounting the cdrom but the only problem I have now is trying to find out what version of vmware tools is on the mounted cd rom!! Pain in the Ar*e!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I believe the version that you have installed corresponds to the vCenter Server/ESXi version you have in your VI. All VMware Tools ISOs are shipped together with these installations.