Guest VM Windows 2012 Storage Spaces Support?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Guest VM Windows 2012 Storage Spaces Support?

Veeam Logoby jgrote » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:41 pm

Hello,

We are looking at deploying a new Windows 2012 file server with deduplication enabled. We have about 8TB of data we want to protect, and with 2012 we have a new option to deploy multiple 2TB disks and link them together with Windows Storage Spaces, which is preferential to us as opposed to, say, multiple lettered drives or . I know I can back up the server fine and do full-vm protection and 2012 is listed as a supported guest for Veeam 6.5, but this is a bit more expanded circumstance.

Primarily, we want to know if Veeam guest file-level restore is supported with Windows 2012 storage spaces and deduplication in the guest. Thanks.

Specifically:
1. Will guest file indexing still work with it?
2. Can we still restore individual files using the wizard (obviously we can mount the images and get to them that way assuming Veeam is 2012)
jgrote
Novice

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Justin Grote

Re: Guest VM Windows 2012 Storage Spaces Support?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:09 am

Hi,

Deduplication is definitely supported for FLR, there are existing topics regarding that here on this forum.
However, storage spaces were not tested as a part of the latest release (aside of most basic configurations maybe).

Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2336 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby CofIAlan » Wed May 08, 2013 9:05 pm

jgrote,
I was actually just testing this and noticed the Veeam does not understand Storage Spaces for FLR. My E: drive (Storage Spaces volume) is missing in the backup explorer, so it looks like Veeam does not yet have FLR support for Storage Spaces.

We'd also like to use Storage Spaces as they're much easier to grow versus traditional multi-volume setups.

Gostev,
Is there any word on when Veeam will fully support Storage Spaces for FLR? I'd think it must be in development or Veeam is really behind on supporting this extremely useful new feature.
CofIAlan
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Alan Price

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi Alan, basically right now "Veeam is really behind on supporting this extremely useful new feature" based on the amount of requests for this feature (which is the only measurement of true importance for us). Besides, Storage Spaces have completely different purpose: they are designed to create a redundant storage out of JBODs for hypervisor to use. They are not meant to be used from within VMs. Out of curiosity, can you share your use case for using Storage Spaces within the VM? Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby chrisdearden » Sun May 19, 2013 7:42 am

Is your Veeam server running on 2012? Aside from the storage spaces issue,you would need it to see the dedupe volume.
chrisdearden
Expert

Liked: 225 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Veeam Logoby CofIAlan » Mon May 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Gostev,
I use Storage Spaces within a VM to provide a dynamic, multi-disk pool of storage for our users. By placing our fileshares inside a Storage Space, I can expand capacity on-the-fly with extra provisions for things like enhanced fault-tolerance and multiple SAN targets backing the same volume. I realize that I could technically accomplish some of these things with VMware extents or spanned disks in Windows, but Storage Spaces provides an easy way to add space and performance. In out small department, I can add to people's Windows knowledge but it's very hard to try to explain the finer points of disks and VMware.

Since your users apparently aren't asking for this feature, I don't expect it to be available anytime soon. However, you do have one user to add to the list.

Thanks!
CofIAlan
Novice

Full Name: Alan Price

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon May 20, 2013 3:05 pm

So, essentially, you are using Storage Spaces to overcome 2TB VMDK size limit?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby chrisdearden » Mon May 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Just running some tests in the lab for 2 possible scenarios:
- Backup Repository on A Storage Spaces Volume
- FLR from a VM backup containing a Storage Spaces Volume.

will update with progress.
chrisdearden
Expert

Veeam Logoby chrisdearden » Tue May 21, 2013 1:41 pm

I'm able to replicate the OP's issue - the FLR process does not mount the Storage space volumes. This was the same historically with Server 2008 Dynamic disk sets , so I would imagine its not beyond the bounds of possibility to bring in as a feature request.
chrisdearden
Expert

Veeam Logoby Delo123 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:22 am

Any news on this? Will FLR from 2012 Storage Space will be supported in Veeam 7?
How about a Windows CSV Cluster?
Delo123
Expert

Liked: 94 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Not in v7 as this was not specifically tested.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1062 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby neuropharm » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 pm

We are using storage spaces in W12 server, and wish to have FLR support. Unfortunately I spent hours with Veeam troubleshooting why we could not mount the drive, or only show unknown filesystem when using Other OS FLR. Reference Veeam Support Case# 00460816.

Please support FLR on storage spaces!

Live in Peace
neuropharm
Lurker

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:22 pm 1 person likes this post

We are not planning to add support for FLR from Storage Spaces, as Microsoft itself does not support Storage Spaces within a VM.
Gostev
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Backup of Storage Spaces drive shows no warning

Veeam Logoby ncolt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:54 pm

We made a Windows drive of 50000GB by merging 5 presented VMware hard disks into 1 using Storage Spaces - very exciting but I'm also required to back it up :shock:

This talk of Storage Spaces had piqued the curiosity of the storage guy who went away and did some reading. The next day he came up to me and says that Veeam probably will not be able to backup that drive at the file level. So I tested it and he looks to be right - unless you use Instant Recovery to restore the VM as per http://www.wiredinit.com/veeam-file-res ... orage-pool

The problem I have is that the test backup showed no errors but the data drive did not appear in the Guest file restore (the system drive did). If everything I'm saying is correct then shouldn't there be at least a warning in the job that the file system is not supported for Guest Files (Windows) restore?
ncolt
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Neil Colthorpe

Re: Backup of Storage Spaces drive shows no warning

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:28 am

Hi,

The main reason why you cannot perform an FLR from Storage Spaces Volume is that volumes from backup are mounted on backup server thus if your Veeam Server is not of the same Windows version as the VM being restored then it won't recognize the Storage Spaces file system, just like with HDDs that used to be behind RAID controller. The Instant-Recovery workaround is the way to go, indeed, and it's documented in our KB. Another way would be to have backup server with the same version of Windows as in VM and try to import Storage Spaces there, which is not convenient because you cannot have a separate backup server for all versions of Storage Spaces.

So, I agree with you that some sort of check should have been implemented in order to warn user about the difficulties described. Your post has been considered as a feature request, hopefully this will be addressed in future release.

Thanks for heads up!
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 241 times

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication