Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GauravT
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gaurav Thanki

Guidance Req:Backup from two different networks

Post by GauravT »

Quick question.

Can I backup data from 2 different networks?

Scenario:

1. VBR is installed on a VM with network adapters from network A and network B.

2. vCenter on n/w A has proxies in the same n/w A subnet. VBR repository will from the same n/w A subnet.

3. vCenter on n/w B has proxies in the same n/w B subnet. VBR repository will from the same n/w B subnet.

4. So, on the VBR we have n/w A (vCenter + proxies + repository) and n/w B (vCenter + proxies + repository)

5. We assign the preferred proxies (for hot add) & repository for each job from their corresponding n/w.

6. Will this work?

7. Since VBR VM has 2 network adapters, thus 2 IP addresses. Can we bind the VBR to any 1 IP? or is this unsupported?

Servers: HPE DL380 G9
Storage: Netapp FAS
vSphere: 6.7
Veeam B&R: Latest available version
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Guidance Req:Backup from two different networks

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it sounds strange to me, that one VCenter has two networks. Is that really the case? Or is it two VCenters? As long as you manage to get DNS and routing to work (outside Veeam), it could work. But I doubt that it makes sense to go that way and I'm sure it needs some hacks to get that working.

Backup is done via ESXi hosts (VCenter is just for coordination, snapshot handling etc.). So that's another network to consider. You need to make sure, that the documented ports are reachable and DNS resolves it correctly.

I always recommend to avoid dual-homed machines, because they are a way to bypass firewalls and it makes management complicated.

Without having a network plan, I guess it will fail. I assume, that even "preferred networks" won't help, because of routing / DNS issues.

Best regards,
Hannes
GauravT
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gaurav Thanki

Post by GauravT »

Hello Hannesk,

Thank you for the prompt response.

The vCenter itself won't have 2 networks. The VBR VM will have 2 networks (we'll configure different NICS for each network)

1. VBR will have to manage 2 vCenters, 1 from network A and 1 from network B. Meaning two different environments in a different network i.e vCenter managing it's ESXi hosts.
2. On the VBR console - we'll have Environment of network A - vCenter + ESXi hosts + proxies + repository.
3. And Environment from network B - vCenter + ESXi hosts + proxies + repository.
4. Will this work?
5. And since VBR will be installed on a Windows Server with 2 IPs. How will this work? which IP will be the preferred management IP for VBR? the one with the FQDN?

Best Regards,
Gaurav

P.S - the scenario if Veeam was installed on a physical server.

https://yourimageshare.com/ib/Gpg66nyBtg
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
with the picture and the it makes more sense. It should just work. Controller failover is unclear for me, but that's out of scope from Veeam side.

I would use the backup server also as proxy. HotAdd with NFS makes no sense anyway and as you have the Netapp, you could use backup from storage snapshots / full integration.

Best regards,
Hannes