Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Tommi
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tommi Wassini

Hardened Repository and backup copy files

Post by Tommi »

hi everyone.

i have just setup a Hardened repository.
Made Copy Backup job to that repository.

the backup jobs are set to incremental and create synthetic full every saturday.

at the Hardened repository i only see the first .vbk file and then a .Vib everyday.

i dont see the synthetic full .vbk files,,, they are not transferred.

have i done sonething wrong since the synthetic full's are not moved to the Hardened repository...

as far as i understanded it ,, it is very much recommended when using a hardened repository that the "fulls " are transfered ?...

cheers
Tommi.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Hardened Repository and backup copy files

Post by foggy »

Hi Tommi, backup copy job does not copy or move backup files, it creates restore points on target synthetically and has its own retention policy and GFS settings.
Tommi
Enthusiast

Post by Tommi »

hmm ok...

then what is the recommended way to "move backups to a remote hardened repository" ?

should i use "backup copy job, then choose local repository" instead of the individual VM's "as i have done now" ?

thank you for the help so far. :)

cheers
Tommi
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It doesn't matter how you select source object for backup copy job, the corresponding restore points including full backup should be created on target repository (hardened on in your case). Can you open properties of backup created by backup copy job and see whether there is a full restore point shown in the backup chain? Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You just need to decide on what backups do you need on target and configure the desired retention for the backup copy job.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

>then what is the recommended way to "move backups to a remote hardened repository" ?

Hey Tommi, are you trying to "migrate" to a hardened repo? If so, just move the files manually, rescan the repo to import, then use this cmdlet to set immutability: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Tommi
Enthusiast

Post by Tommi »

hi everyone.

thank you for all the answers.

so just to be sure i am understanding this right.

in my case i set retention to 31 days.
GFS "keep weekly full for 2 weeks"

right now my job is still only a few days old, and i have 2.VBK files "one with the flag W and one with R" and 2.VIB files.

SO. if i understand this right i would in the end have 3.VBK files " 2 with the W and one with the R retention" and 30.VIB files, that should all be "immutable" for 1 mounth. ??

is there any way to make the latest backup allways " a full .VBK"???? i think not unless i would have room for 31 Full.Vbk files as i cant delete the old one for 31 days right ??

just seams a little fragile that my backup depends on a 31 file long chain... or.. ?

sorry just thinking " aloud" ? " and trying to learn os much as i can about this" :)

Cheers
Canadus.