Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
d3nz
Expert
Liked: 14 times

Hardware requirements for mount server

Post by d3nz »

Hello.
We have Backup infrastructure with repositories on Linux. For MS Windows Servers files recovery we need deploy dedicated Mount Server with MS Windows Server OS. We didn't find strong hardware requirements for server with only role Mount Server at documentation and veeambp.
Just this one (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... =120#mount):
The following jobs consume 512 MB RAM per guest VM disk on mount server + 100 MB RAM per VM:
SureBackup
Instant Recovery
Instant Disk Recovery

What's the hardware requirements for MS Windows Servers with only role Mount Server?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Hardware requirements for mount server

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I suggest to refer to our release notes, page 10:
These requirements also apply to mount servers (if separated from the repository server), gateway servers for
file shares, object storage and deduplicating appliance-based repositories, and cache repository servers.
I think it makes sense to add this information to our help center page as well, I'll share the feedback with our tech writers team.

Thanks!
d3nz
Expert

Post by d3nz »

PetrM,
Thanks for information. I found this information also here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... ory-server
But another question: There is no option Concurent tasks for Mount Server. How to size it?
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

There are no special sizing recommendations for the mount server except RAM usage for SureBackup and Instant VM Recovery. The requirement for repository concurrent tasks does not apply to the mount server if it's deployed on a separate machine, one more place to improve our documentation.

Are you going to run simultaneously a lot of restore tasks that involve a dedicated mount server? If yes, how many?

Thanks!
d3nz
Expert

Post by d3nz »

PetrM,

> Are you going to run simultaneously a lot of restore tasks that involve a dedicated mount server? If yes, how many?

Yes, we are cloud provider. So as you understand itsn't possible to determine this parameter.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

In case of Cloud Connect, the tenant Veeam B&R server plays the mount server role so there is no reason to worry about mount server sizing on your side.

Thanks!
d3nz
Expert

Post by d3nz »

PetrM,
My question about VBR+VBEM(Veeam Self-Service Backup Portal, VMware Cloud Director), not about VCC+VSPC.