Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davis_b
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Brent Davis

Health Check failing

Post by davis_b »

I have one backup job that is failing it's health checks with an error of: 7/3/2017 9:37:21 AM :: Failed to perform backup file verification Error: Unable to allocate memory for storage metadata bank.
Agent failed to process method {Signature.FullRecheckBackup}."

Other backup jobs that I have are not having issues running the health check. I am using a Data Domain to save the data to. I have a couple different repos to segregate the data, ex dv vs pd environments. One of the other backup jobs that is successfully able to run a health check uses the same repo as the backup job that is failing the health check.

I have a case opened and the tech is saying from what he can tell from the logs the storage is running low on memory.

if other backup jobs utilizing both the same repo on the same storage are not having issues, then I am not sure how low memory could be the issue.

any ideas?
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Re: Health Check failing

Post by EugeneK »

Depending on the data set size and specific operations invoked for that data, the amount of memory required would be different. The health checks are certainly pounding RAM on any system the most, especially with larger backup chains to verify.
Have you tried to run the health check while the other jobs/activities targetting the same storage are stopped? By eliminating the other factors like contention for the resources, you'd be able to determine if the issue exists only within specific conditions or manifests itself at all times, irrespective to the load on the storage.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
davis_b
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Brent Davis

Post by davis_b »

yes I have ran the health check when no other operations were going on. Still the same issue. The backup job that is failing has fewer clients and smaller data sizes than the other backups jobs that are larger in both clients count and data sizes which are completing successfully.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Brent, check if the same gateway is used by this job, since if we're talking about RAM consumption, it is a gateway server that performs all the calculations during health checks, not the storage itself. Could you please also share the case ID number for further reference? Thanks.