Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marama
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Marama

Help with offsite backup recommendation

Post by marama »

Hi there.
I know the question is quite common, and I've browsed through lots of other threads, but each one seems to be for a specific scenario so I am still not sure what principle to use.
The facts:

- we have an office running 2 ESXi Hosts, hosting some 50 VMs,
- the total VMDK size is some 2TB, but daily increments should be some 15GB in size.
- at office, we have a 16/16 Mps link
- at home I have a 50/4 Mbps link
- at home I have a Synology NAS DS212+
- currently no VPN setup but I could buy some hardware to have a Site-to-Site VPN if necessary
- at home I'd need some quite solution because the Hardware is exposed in the hall, Synology is quite enough but we'd like not to have nothing louder. If louder, then it would need to be a server running during daytime when none of us are home.
- limited budget
- licenses: currently vmWare Essentials, my Veeam trial expires in 2 weeks, I am thinking of buying Essentials Standard

and the question is - how to I backup the VMs in the office??? What are my options???

- replication or backup?
- would I need dedicated VPN hardware?
- would I need a new server at home? I have a silent Shuttle Atom PC, might I engage it as ESXI host an perform replication? Or might I set it up as Window machine and run backup?
- would I need backup proxies at home? if I go for backup then I'd need backup agent/proxy at home, right? If I go for replication I wouldn't need it, right?
- should I get Enterprise instead of Standard Veeam? Enterprise + is not afforable.
- can I simply use the Synology NAS as backup target and have the Veeam from the office save backups to it?

I'd be really happy to get pointed in the right direction.
TIA
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Help with offsite backup recommendation

Post by foggy »

marama wrote:- replication or backup?
Depends on your RPO/RTO requirements. A couple of topics to review: Replication and backup, Which method to use - backup, replication, or both?.
marama wrote:- would I need dedicated VPN hardware?
VPN is generally not required but is a recommended and more secure approach when sending backup data over Internet.
marama wrote:- would I need a new server at home? I have a silent Shuttle Atom PC, might I engage it as ESXI host an perform replication? Or might I set it up as Window machine and run backup?
Depending on what backup strategy you select in p.1.
marama wrote:- would I need backup proxies at home? if I go for backup then I'd need backup agent/proxy at home, right? If I go for replication I wouldn't need it, right?
In any case you need an agent running closer to the target (either agent-enabled backup repository in case of backup or proxy VM on the target host in case of replication), otherwise the traffic will go over Internet uncompressed.
marama wrote:- should I get Enterprise instead of Standard Veeam? Enterprise + is not afforable.
Depending on whether you need Enterprise edition functionality that is not included with Standard edition.
marama wrote:- can I simply use the Synology NAS as backup target and have the Veeam from the office save backups to it?
Yes, NAS is a pretty common backup repository.

I also recommend to review the sticky FAQ topic and Veeam B&R documentation for better understanding of the product operation. Thanks.