Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

High frequency of transaction log backups on SQL servers

Post by johannesk »

hi,

I'm wondering if there is a penelty on the Veeam VBR/Proxy side if the frequency of transactionlog backups is configured to be very high, like 1 minute.

Meaning that in some cases the transaction log backup starts again right after it finished, and even so that sometimes the transactionlog backup won't finish before the next interval should be starting.

Why wouldn't you configure the transactionlog backup to run with the highest frequency? I don't see any additional cost/impact right away.

Regards,
Jóhannes
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: High frequency of transaction log backups on SQL servers

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
like 1 minute.
try it ;-) The minimum is 5min.

To answer the question: the software can deal with that. If you see any issues, please open a support case.

Overall, it costs CPU & RAM. If you have for example 1000 databases, then coordinating 1000 transaction log backup jobs takes some time. At low scale, you probably won't notice anything.

Best regards,
Hannes
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

Post by mkretzer » 2 people like this post

We are currently doing this (every 5 Minutes) for a few DB servers with the biggest DB being 17 TB large. We did not have ANY issues so far!
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Post by johannesk »

HannesK wrote: Sep 08, 2022 5:26 am Hello,

try it ;-) The minimum is 5min.

Right, if I set the interval to less than 5 minutes it gets configured to be 5 minutes :-)

Could that limitation be changed by registry key if that would be requested? Why was the limit set to 5 minutes anyway, why not just 1 minute?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

because customers with tens of thousands of databases might expect it to work in 1min then... how many databases are we talking about in your case?

If you need lower RPO / RTO, I think a SQL cluster with async replication is the solution. Not trying to do log shipping every minute.