Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mteamjpy
Enthusiast
Liked: never

host list not complete

Post by mteamjpy »

hI, we are still testing veeam to know if we will buy it

i add on nas to 2 host only but whan i want to choose them on the list to backup destination they didn't appear

same way as the host on a second vcenter

could you help me ?

is there any limitation or parameter then i need to changes ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: host list not complete

Post by foggy »

What kind of hosts do you have, ESX or ESXi? Note that according to our system requirements for backup targets, ESXi hosts cannot serve as a backup target. Thanks.
mteamjpy
Enthusiast

Post by mteamjpy »

thanks that's true but 4.1 are only esx(i) and 5 too so do you intend to change it ?

or is there an another way to connect in efficient way the datastore on wich i want to perform backup ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Direct attached storage, FC SAN, iSCSI SAN and Linux server are most efficient (in that order). If these are not possible, go with CIFS share.

Actually, there are multiple existing topics about this - why ESXi cannot be backup target, why backing up to VMFS (which is what you were planning to do) is considered a bad practice generally, and what are the best backup targets. Please do leverage forum search, as most possible questions about our product have been already asked and answered in the past 3 years.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

And here is one of such topics.
kpetera
Lurker
Full Name: Kelly Petera

Backup to ESXI host with paid version ESXI

Post by kpetera »

[merged]

Hello,

I have VEEAM Backup and Replication 5.0 installed on VM (WIN Server 2003). THe VM is on an ESXI (Paid Ver) Host.
I want to Backup directly to my SAN thru my ESXI Host but it does not show up in the drop down box for Destinations
However, I can select a ESXI Host for COPY. Is thier a work around for this? I need to be able to copy individual VM backups to a tape device via a physical box that has access the the SAN
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

If I'm understanding correctly, you could use replication to go straight to an ESXi host. Not exactly the same as backup, but perhaps functionally that's what you would prefer.
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

Also -- to mteamjpy -- Veeam version 6 should be released within a couple of months, with significant changes (particularly in replication). I don't know if you can wait that long, but it would be a more appropriate evaluation of Veeam.
fairwolf
Lurker
Full Name: Fairwolf

Added vCenter but cant see anything as backup destination

Post by fairwolf »

[merged]

In my environment, I added the vCenter to the servers (including 80+ hosts) but when I am setting up a new Job, I cant see any of the servers as backup destination. Only the local computer is visible. Does anyone has an idea how this can happen?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

For the full list of supported backup targets, see the System Requirements section of the Release Notes document included with your download.