How can I back up a single vm in a large job?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: How can I back up a single vm in a large job?

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Actually, the retry operation only retries the failed VMs. There were no changes regarding that in v7, you can review the suggestions given in the topic above. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby cffit » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:01 pm

Please disregard my last post. I see the retry option does just this after reading through this post. Thanks
cffit
Expert

Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:31 am

No problem, glad I could point you to the right direction.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] : Feature Request: One Off Object Backup

Veeam Logoby JustinH » Wed May 07, 2014 3:34 pm

I would think it would be nice to have a way to kick off a backup of a particular object in a backup without retrying all the objects in the backup job or recreating a new job.

Just an Idea
JustinH
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Justin Herman

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi, Justin,

How VMs are added to the backup job? As individual objects or as a part of container? In the former case, you can use the above mentioned script. In the latter, this one.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] Feature Request - VM retry

Veeam Logoby domenicalvaro » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:45 am

I think it would be nice to be able to open a job log and be able to right-click a VM and retry the backup just for that VM.

This would be useful when you have a job with lots of VMs and you want to just retry a few. It's would also be useful for VMs that backed up with a warning, so that we could fix the issue and try again.

Not critical, but nice to have.

Thanks,

Domenic
domenicalvaro
Influencer

Full Name: Domenic Alvaro

Re: Feature Request - VM retry

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:28 am

Even today you can restart just failed VMs by clicking "Retry" on job shortcut menu. Or you're after something different? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby domenicalvaro » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:06 pm

Currently, you can only retry an entire job. Every failed VM in the job is backed up again, which is great in most situations.

However, I'd like to be able to retry just a single VM backup from the job, rather than the whole job. For example, if I have a job with 50 VMs and the whole job failed overnight due to some issue, I wouldn't have backup windows big enough to run the whole job again, but it would be nice to select a few critical VMs to back up manually the next morning.

Also, the ability to retry a VM backup that completed with a warning would be useful. For example, if SQL logs fail to truncate a warning is given, but the job doesn't fail. To avoid SQL logs from filling up, it would be useful to retry that VM backup again.

Actually, now that I think about it, it would probably great if you could retry any individual VM from a previous backup, including those that completed successfully.
domenicalvaro
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi Domenic,

So just to summarize your feature request - you would like to have an option to perform active full backup for any VM in the job without running the entire job, correct?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Vitaliy, sounds more like the possibility to retry a single failed VM instead of retrying "all" the failed VMs.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1381 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby domenicalvaro » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:49 am

Exactly!
domenicalvaro
Influencer

[MERGED] FEATURE REQUEST: Retry backup of a single VM

Veeam Logoby cousinsp » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 pm

We used to have lots of backup jobs with just a few VMs - now we've moved to a few backup jobs with lots of VMs, which is proving much better (faster and uses less storage). However, we recently had some problems with a few VMs - mainly Exchange servers. The transaction log was failing to truncate, which only resulted in a warning message in Veeam, so wasn't noticed for a couple of days, by which time log space on the servers was critically low.
Having fixed the underlying problem, we needed to re-run the backup. If Veeam had marked the VMs as failed, we could have just requested a 'retry', but as it was we had to rerun the whole job and back up 50 servers.
This is a request to either be able to retry backups for 'warning' VMs, or, I think more useful, to be able to retry a job for a specific selection of VMs. For example, some changes may have been made to a particular VM during the day, and it needs to be backed up.
Many thanks,
Pete Cousins.
cousinsp
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Pete Cousins

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Retry backup of a single VM

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi Pete,

You can use the script posted in this existing discussion or use Retry function for the failed VMs in the job.
Also, you can use VeeamZip for the particular VM to get a full backup on demand or a QuickBackup if you require to initiate an incremental run.
Please review this thread for additional information. Thank you for the feature request!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 72 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby cousinsp » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks for this, the quick backup was exactly what we were looking for.
The Veeam technician who helped with our problem, doesn't know about it, I think.
cousinsp
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Pete Cousins

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication