Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

How do I determine change deltas for replication?

Post by electricd7 »

Hello,

I am in my first run of Veeam's replication feature. I have a source environment which contains about 80 virtual machines which I back up nightly. I am attempting to replicate all 80 machines to the DR site via a 45Mbps WAN link which is also used for other business. I have properly seeded the replica site and am doing my first replication job pointed to the seeded VMs. Because of restore/seeding challenges, I am about 12 days behind from the time I restored to the DR site to today. I would like to know if there is a way to predict how much data I will be sending across the WAN link for each replication job (done by datastore)? I see a percentage for each job, but am not really sure how to correlate that to actual bytes. Thanks in advance!

ED7
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Re: How do I determine change deltas for replication?

Post by nefes »

If you have incremental backups set up for all this VMs, you can sum the size of all incremental files for that period, assuming there were no fulls between that dates.
Or just take average of incrementals and multiply by number of days.
Be aware, that is very rough estimation, since it assumes that every day data changes in different blocks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also, backup uses compression and deduplication, so the size of incrementals is far less than size of replica, those cannot use any data reduction since they are going to be stored in native VMware format. A good number could probably be the "read" amount of data into the backup log, this number is pre-compression and pre-deduplication.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

via WAN link which is also used for other business
In this case it’s always advisable to have throttling rules applied, so that, bandwidth available for backup activity would be limited. Thanks.