Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
4ljames
Service Provider
Liked: never

How do I get my SQL failover cluster to DR site

Post by 4ljames »

Hi,

I seem to be hitting a road blocks with VEEAM which stems from the lack of support for backing up shared disks in Hyper-V. The VM's in question are a SQL Failover cluster consisting of 2 VM's.

So the issue with backing up shared disks is well know, the fix is to install VEEAM Agent for Windows and setup a protection group for the cluster object and manage it through VBR.

That's fine, bit annoying but works OK.

So now it comes to replicating the VM's for this SQL FC to a secondary site for DR purposes.

So I can't use a replication Job because obviously it runs into the shared disk issue

VEEAM says to use a Backup Copy job to 'replicate' Agent backups, OK no problem. I add the Backup Job to the backup copy and get "no restore points found" error.

Looking at the online documentation in greater detail there's a small note that says you can't do a backup copy of any agent jobs that are configured via the VBR?? "You cannot map a backup copy job to a backup created by a Veeam Agent backup job configured in Veeam Backup & Replication." Strange!

So then I'm down to about my last option. File Copy. I setup a file copy job to copy the contents of the job folder to the DR site.

It runs once, copies everything over ~130GB
Runs again on its schedule, copies another ~130GB, and again and again.

I read the forums and find someone say that File Copy is a 'Full' every time, no support for copying changed or new files only?

Please can you tell me how I can ensure my SQL Failover cluster can exist at my DR site using VEEAM - because sending 130GB every time is just not feasible.

Thanks,
James
DavoudTeimouri
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Davoud Teimouri

Re: How do I get my SQL failover cluster to DR site

Post by DavoudTeimouri »

Based my expreinces, you can try to get backup from failover cluster nodes via Veeam Agent Backup.
But about replication, it's better to deploy one of node on the remote site and leave clustering service to manage node replication.
Best Regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How do I get my SQL failover cluster to DR site

Post by foggy »

4ljames wrote: Jun 27, 2018 8:54 am Looking at the online documentation in greater detail there's a small note that says you can't do a backup copy of any agent jobs that are configured via the VBR?? "You cannot map a backup copy job to a backup created by a Veeam Agent backup job configured in Veeam Backup & Replication." Strange!
This note relates to backup copy job mapping - are you trying to map it to a backup that already exists on backup copy job target? Most likely the 'no restore points found" message in this case means that there are no restore points on the source repository within the specified copy interval.