How do I replicate from backup files with 2nd Veeam server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: How do I replicate from backup files with 2nd Veeam serv

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:48 pm

You're referring to a suggestion with a dummy job posted above, right? This approach will require lots of manual work and, me personally, I would not proceed with this configuration.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Replication with source = From backup files

Veeam Logoby champ_ » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:27 am

Hi,

Our customer has two veeam servers, one is handling backup and the other is handling replication. The Backup repository is a NAS located close to the Veeam replication server.
Is it possible to replicate from the backup files located on the NAS?
I have tried but I receive "no restore points found".

Regards

Roger
champ_
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Roger

Re: Replication with source = From backup files

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:36 am

You need to either let backup server (that takes care of backup activity) orchestrate replication, as well, or create dummy backup jobs at the second backup server map them on backup data created on NAS (don't forget to assign repository role to it) and choose that repository as source for replication jobs. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby champ_ » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:44 am

Hi Eremin.

Thanks for the reply!
Please explane what you mean by creating a dummy backup job on the Veeam replication server and pointing it to the NAS.

Regards
champ_
Influencer

Full Name: Roger

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:04 am

On the second server (replication server) create backups jobs that reflect VMs selection settings of backup jobs existing on the first server (backup server), map them to backup residing on NAS device (prior to that assign repository role to it). After that, create replication jobs, let them replicate from backup, selecting the newly-created repository as a source.

I can't test it at the moment, so, I'm not 100% sure whether the first step with dummy jobs is necessary or not. My guess that it's needed to create an association without which replication from backup wouldn't work, but feel free to double check that.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:57 pm

Don't forget that repository rescan will be required prior each replication job run. The entire process is discussed in a bit more details in the thread above.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby alanbolte » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:17 pm

Vladimir: has the situation changed from my post on the previous page?
alanbolte
Expert

Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Alan, if you're talking about dummy job workaround, then I don't think something has changed since then.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jim3cantos » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:38 am

foggy wrote:Alan, if you're talking about dummy job workaround, then I don't think something has changed since then.

Hi,
we are thinking to upgrade to v9. Does dummy job workaround still work the same in v9?
Thanks
jim3cantos
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: José Ignacio Martín Jiménez

Veeam Logoby alanbolte » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:54 am

In v9 there is no longer any significant upside to running two separate backup servers to separate backup jobs from replication jobs. It makes much more sense to put your single backup server at the DR site, and use a remote console at the production site for management and file- or application-level restores. If you have Enterprise or Enterprise Plus edition, you have the added bonus being able to designate a guest interaction proxy at the production site.
alanbolte
Expert

Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

[MERGED] Feature Request - Replica from Backup on different

Veeam Logoby Dave1981 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi B&R Team

I have had a support ticket open )02042230) and after much investigation the problem appears to be a limitation with Veeam and so I was wondering if I can request it as a feature. I don't believe I am alone in needing something like this.

My scenario is as follows:

We have two primary sites (UK & China) and a DR site located elsewhere in the UK.

Each primary site has an on site B&R server that controls the daily Backup job and then has a Backup copy job to an off-site repository.

On the off-site location we have a B&R server that performs a replication of the critical servers and a Failover plan is configured to be implemented should the Primary site go offline (We use Re-IP/ Network mapping).

This is able to work fine from UK site to offsite as both sites have reasonable connections.

The problem we have is that due to the great firewall the data rate coming out of china is very limited (lucky to get 1MB/s) so our Backup windows is not long enough to perform both the Backup Copy job to get the data off site and then a Replication from Production source job. I had hoped to get around this by using the Replication from Backup Source option (utilising the already copied Backup every day) but the offsite server is unable to do this because the Backup jobs are not created on it. The Replication from Backup works if the Replication is controlled from the onsite server in China but this leads to a problem that I am unable to use the Offsite server to create a Failover plan which means I am unable to use any of the failback options.

I want the Failover plan on the offsite server as my DR planning is assuming the Onsite B&R server went up in smoke with the rest of the building should these replicas be needed.

I would like request the ability for a separate B&R server offsite to use a Repository stored on it to perform “Replication from Backup”. This would allow me to keep data transfer to a minimum whilst also allowing me to use the power of Failover plans should anything happen to my primary site.
Dave1981
Lurker

Full Name: Dave Thomas

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Dave, you can review this thread for a possible workaround, however an easier option is to have a backups server responsible both for the remote backup and replication from backup jobs residing in the DR site.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Changing Replication Source

Veeam Logoby PaulVM » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi,

I currently have a replication job that replicates to a DR site and is set to use the Production Storage. This has being casuing issues due to the snapshot deletion process extending into Business hours.

I added the backup repository to the DR Veeam server and modified the job to use the Backup repository as the data source. The job has hung saying the VM has 0.0 B to process and is stuck at 0% despite saying job error.

A) Did I do this correctly? If not what do I need to do?
B) How do I quit this job as it says exiting will break the local backup!!!
PaulVM
Influencer

Re: Changing Replication Source

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:23 pm

PaulVM wrote:I added the backup repository to the DR Veeam server...

This makes me think you have two Veeam B&R instances, one in production site and another in DR, and trying to replicate from backup created by another instance, right?
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: Changing Replication Source

Veeam Logoby PaulVM » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Yes thats correct.
PaulVM
Influencer

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication