Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ProductContactCTH
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Prod

How do I stop Backup Copy Jobs from executing?

Post by ProductContactCTH »

We're evaluating Veeam B&R. We run daily backups to a local repository, and then run a Backup Copy Job to rotated external drives. That works well.
Now we want to do monthly backups and again copy to a different set of rotated external drives.
I know I can't do GFS to rotated drives.

I created a new Monthly repository and on the last Saturday of each month we run a new Backup Job to it (It would have been nice to use the previous nights' Backup Job and its' repository but whatever).
The linked Backup Copy Job then executes while the Backup Job itself is still busy and throws an error, but that's OK we can live with that. Eventually the Copy Job works after the Backup Job has finished. But then, this Copy Job keeps executing again and again ad nauseam. The external Month drive has been removed by then and Veeam keeps on pumping out errors.

TLDR: How do I stop a Backup Copy Job from executing, after both the Backup Job and the Backup Copy Job to rotated drive have concluded successfully?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How do I stop Backup Copy Jobs from executing?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

did you try right click -> disable?

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I guess you should extend the copy interval to some 30 days.
ProductContactCTH
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Prod

Post by ProductContactCTH »

Hannes: Yeah I had to disable to save our support mailbox, but surely the Copy Job can see there's no new activity in the repository?
Foggy: And if the last Saturday is not exactly 30 days away? Then I sit with lots of error alerts again and maybe a missed Job. Our dear auditors won't be happy.

If the Copy Job's repository monitoring is not reliable - as it seems to be - isn't there a way to add the Copy Job to the backup chain? The Backup Job's scheduler works well and can be relied upon.
The secondary destination in the Backup Job looks superfluous to me, if the Copy Job relies on another triggering mechanism and not on the completion of the Backup Job.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

yes, if you disable the job, then it will not do anything.

the classic "last day of month vs. 30 days" discussion :-)

yes, 30 days does not guarantee the exact date. But I have never heard from customers issues with auditors if they tell them "we copy every 30 days".

As an alternative I have also heard customers doing monthly backups directly to rotated drives. No backup copy job because of the "last Saturday" discussion.