Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CH79
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris

How long to restore an entire VM?

Post by CH79 »

I have been thinking around how long it would take to restore one or more VM's if the need ever arose.

Say for example if we had one or more VMs fail for whatever reason.

We have ten VM's - 3 of them are about 1.5TB each in size and the other 7 are around 90GB in size (on-disk sizes).

If we had to restore the larger ones for example I have been wondering how long that might take.

In the distant past I had to restore a bare-metal server using Windows Backup which was about 1TB in size and this took around 10 hours.

We back up locally to a NAS which is RAID-10 and a gigabit network connection.

Does anyone have any experience of restoring VMs in a similar environment?

Cheers
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: How long to restore an entire VM?

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

It will be hard to estimate the necessary time for a restore in your environment, without knowing all details.
Read performance of the NAS, write performance of the target storage, disk consumption of your VMs, etc. are some important factors.
Probably the 1GE network connection will be the bottleneck in your case. So you could just take the diskspace of a VM and devide it by the network bandwidth.

But before your start calculating in theory, why don't you just start a restore to a new location and check what performance you can achieve?
CH79
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris

Re: How long to restore an entire VM?

Post by CH79 »

Thanks Regnor,

Yes good suggestion I will restore one of the VMs to a new location. Not sure why I didn't think of that!

Cheers.